getting started...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jhaul, Feb 12, 2007.

1. jhaul

jhaul LawnSite Member

hi folks ! my name is John and i'm wanting to get a side business of lawn mowing going this coming spring. due to my schedule at work - i am not looking to go big time with this business. (something under 10 residential lawns in my area)

the question i have is: should i just go around to area housing additions and put out flyers, an ad in the paper, etc ...

would like some feedback as to what would be the overall best way to generate some customers. thanks

2. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

John,
    I am not expert and I am sure other people might be able to help you better but ever since I was little I Cutting lawns around my house. I started when I was 14 and just walked to all my lawns and slowly built. I just handed out fliers around my house about 5 times threw the summer and always got new people. I never went into the paper or anything big but I had a decent amount of lawns. The best advice I could give you is to Walk door to door and introduce yourself I got many complements on that. Not many people walk door to door anymore. A simple flier would work or if u want to look more professional you could go to www.vistaprint.com and get 250 business cards for only $5.25 you only have to pay shipping. Hope I helped Brandon

3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

This was great info, target houses in one area and around your house. No need to have a flyer done professionally. It costs money. I use a simple black and white flyer and it works fine for me. I picked up about 28 lawns last year just with the simple flyer.

4. Maxwell Landscaping

Maxwell Landscaping LawnSite Member

That is a great idea, going door to door and introducing yourself. What time did you do it? In the evenings when both were home,or during the day?

5. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

I would go on Sat after Lunch or right before lunch. Most people don't care if u interrupt there lunch because its not the main meal of the day. Or go after 6 because sometimes if people where eating that would look bad for you. I always was polite and nice even if they said no because I had people call me back because they said I seemed like such a nice person or refer me to a friend that needed it done. I do this still and looking to upsize you get to personall meet the people and I have been complimented many times from it. Good luck with it Its helped me more then Anything.