Getting Started

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhaid1, Jan 20, 2003.

1. jhaid1

jhaid1 LawnSite Member

I am new to this site and I know this question has probably been asked a million times but I thought i would ask for some help. I am 24 years old, just graduated college and I really want to start my own business through lawn care. I am thinking of starting up but I want to know if its a good idea given my situation. This is what i have- A truck, trailor, 1 scag, blower, and whip. I haven't started looking for accounts but I have some great connections in my hometown where i am looking to work. I have no expenses as far as rent or vehicle payment so im not worried about getting a ton of accounts right away. I estimate i could get at least 10-15 res accounts and 1 or 2 apartment complexes in my first year just from family and friends. Is this a step in the right direction? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you talking about full time or part time to start? What is your major in college? Have you worked for a Lawn company in the past? Need more information about your background.

3. jhaid1

jhaid1 LawnSite Member

I was a genreal business major in college. I graduated last summer and I have been working for a residential company which i am tired of. I worked for a big lawn care company for 4 years (summers) and did snow removal as well while i was in school. Depending on how many accounts i can obtain would determine if i kept my other job part-time.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you have some good expierence. I probably wouldn't have taken the plung if I hadn't worked for another company first. You also have some commercial equipemnt. What kind of shape is it in? Just because youmaynot have some of the overhead that others might have starting out, don't undersell yourself. Price what the jobs are worth. Did you get into any pricing in your other mowing jobs? Just start lining up the buisness now and Budjet your time and money well.