1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting started

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by david2, May 27, 2004.

1. david2

david2 LawnSite Member
    from apex,nc

is there enough business out there for everyone?...i'm just getting started ....
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

There is always room for one more, but be professional, this way you'll stick around for awhile.
  3. david2

david2 LawnSite Member
    from apex,nc

what would be the necessary equipment to get started?
  4. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I guess you want to start a lawn mowing bussiness - right?
    Well, you'll need a lawn mower, trimmer, blower, something to haul all of it from account to account and you're set.

Do the search here on LS - lots of valuable info on types of mowers for types of applications, etc., etc

Good Luck
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

welcome to the site

yes, there is enough business. The only concern from current LCO's is that new ones make sure they go through all the legal steps in becoming a business and get the insurance. Nothing bothers a well established LCO more than having someone new come into the scen with no insurance
  6. batdaddy044

batdaddy044 LawnSite Member

Buy the best quality equipment that you can afford.Purchase equipment that will be most efficient in the market that you wish to pursue-if you're cutting large,wide open properties,you're noy going to get much more than trimming accomplished with a 21"push mower.At the same time,if you cut a lot of "postage stamp" yards,a larger mower may turn out to be useless if it doesn't fit in the yard.Make sure you can transport your equipment.Get licensed and be sure to carry insurance.The professional LCO should always be licensed and insured!
  7. glenspot

glenspot LawnSite Member

I have been reading and trying to soak in as much as possible. I appreciate the willingness everyone has to share ideas and thoughts. My question is INCREDIBLY basic.

I am just starting out. And I want very much to do things the right way.

When the pro's are talking about licence and insurance... Are you referring to a simple business licence? and Errors and Omissions insurance? or special insurance? and a special licence?

Along those lines. Does it make any sense to try to not "start a business" right away...but be just a guy with a lawn mower trying to mow some lawns. Then as you get a couple of regulars...turn your "hobby" into a "business".

I would really like to hear some stories how some well established guys got their start.

Thank you very much.
  8. celawncare1

celawncare1 LawnSite Member

Does it make any sense to try to not "start a business" right away...but be just a guy with a lawn mower trying to mow some lawns.

I don't think so...you have to start as a business down here not as a "lawn mower guy" otherwise the big guys run you off...and quick! I can't speak with exp. because I am in the same boat as you. As far as licensing all I needed to start was a license through my city. Insurance just Commercial Liability. From reading these posts for almost a year, I think it is different in pretty much every city and/ or state!