Getting stripes on a rotary machine!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Dec 9, 2003.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it possible to get lawn stripes on a rotary lawn mower?

I have a Honda Commercial - HRC216 ..

I was wondering if it's possible to get lawn stripes or do I need a reel mower?

2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

yes you can...go to search and type in stripes by 21" mower and you will see lots of pictures.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

For 21" walks, try lawnstriper.com.Nicely built and makes awesomes stripes.:D

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if you think about it, basically all mowers are rotary mowers, except for reel or flail.

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

You should really try to keep the same topic in one thread, I answered your other thread and provided a great link. When multiple threads like this get started it makes the search feature less effective.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

are you talking to me Kirby? If you are I am sticking to the topic. He asked about rotary mowers striping, which my response was that basically all mowers are rotary, which as everyone knows, means they can stripe.

7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know about the rollers and the striping kit now. Thanks, my next question is

How the hell do you get the stripes like the picture above?

Do you mow;

north to south
    south to north
    move 6" east
    mow
    north to south
    south to north
    move 6" east
    then repeat until complete or what?

I dont understand how to get the stripes! I know how but, dont know the method!?

8. Noo.. You don't have to go over the same ground twice. One swath one direction, turn around the next swath the opposite direction. Simple as that.

But, I've been to Vancouver. And I have seen people there mowing with a 21" mowers. I don't think you could get that grass to stripe no matter what you did.

Vancouver is the most beautiful city I've ever seen BTW. Everything is so lush and green. But all that rain is going to wash out your best efforts to stripe. I'd say just go for the emerald velvet look.

Jim Lewis is the Lawnsite resident expert for mowing with 21" mowers in the northwestern US. Maybe he can advise you on how to do it. Few of us have seen growing conditions like you have there.

Dave

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

No, it was posted to the one who started this thread, he started another one about striping also, just make it easier if one person would ask simular questions in the same thread instead of starting new ones. Not trying to give him a hard time just pointing out a better way to ask so it not spread out in multiple threads.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?postid=538640#post538640