Getting sunbathers wet :D

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Today was hot for this area (85 degree's) and I was fixing a break in a green belt of a planned community. There were a few girls and their boyfriends (late teens?) laying out on the grass soaking up our rare heat.

Anyways, I fixed the break and fired up the zone, I'd never worked on this zone before so I didn't know exactly where it watered.

Turns out a spur of it went under the sun bathers.

Needless to say, I got a real kick out of it. :laugh:

2. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

Today i was fixing sombody elses attempt to fix a crack in a 2" mainline. The used a compression coupler but it was still leeking, but it was hardly hand tight. I tightened it up and turned on the water and waited for it to fill up and start building pressure. damn thing poped apart and soaked me, although it felt nice on a day like today. They didnt have enough pipe inserted into the coupler so it dint have anything to hold onto.

Disclaimer: i'm no irrigation tech

3. Dirty Water

I'm a huge NON-fan of compression couplers. It seems that so many breaks that I dig up I find to be previously fixed by a compression coupler...then again, some last forever....

What temps are you seeing in anacortes?

Spreaking of breaks the one I fixed was stupid. Someone installed LV lighting along a sidewalk and used a small trencher to lay the wire. They managed to bust irrigation lines on both sides of the sidewalk even though they were only trenching on one side, ripped them out of their tee's. Irritating.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I've never dug one of ours up a second time. Maybe it's the way we do it? We apply Rector Seal to the threads so friction doesn't build up and keep you from tightening up the threaded ends all the way. Anything 2-1/2" or larger on a supply line gets a Dresser coupler instead. :waving:

5. Dirty Water

When I first read that I thought you said Rectum seal. If I ever go to jail I'll call you up and get a bottle :D

I use silicon as a thread lubricate when working on threaded fittings, it helps on tightening stuff up (though I'm not like those moron plumbers that dope it up and than crank it on with a 8' pipe wrench), plus once it dries it adds a flexible seal on the thread ontop of the teflon.

I've never had a compression coupler go bad on me either, its just the frequency that I see failed in the feild that makes me dislike them.

6. PurpHaze

That is what we affectionately call it.:p

Perhaps it's not the compression couplers but the lousy irrigation maintenance people you have to follow? :laugh:

7. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

We were in the upper 80's, maybe low 90's today, weatherman says it gonna cool off a bit which will be nice.

8. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

I had a similar situation. I was working on a customer's valves a couple of weeks ago when the neighbor came over & told me that he had a couple of Toro rotors not rotating. He asked me if I could take a look & replace the heads if necessary. I have never worked on this system. There was no zone chart & no rhyme or reason as to how it was zoned (we have some order to how we zone our systems - don't you?). He had a very large back yard with about 8 rotor zones hitting it. There were 3 landscapers working on his pond at the time. After seeing that there was no zone chart, I asked the homeowner to make the landscapers aware that I was going to run through the zones - which he did. The landscapers decided to sit & take a lunch on this guys back patio. After running through a couple of zones, I guess I fired up a zone that drenched 1 of the landscapers. After seeing this, I ran to the garage & shut it down. As I was walking to the back yard to APOLOGIZE, I heard the guy call me a f---ing a--hole. I went up to him & got in his face. He was your typical Pittsburgh landscaper - late 30's early 40's, burned out & in the early stages of his daily shakes from alcohol withdrawal. After getting in his face, insulting him, telling him what I thought, & asking him if he had anything else to say, he backed down pretty quickly. I guess that his macho showing off for his buddies really backfired on him. I really did not set out to get into a fight that day, but I was so fired up that I would have taken all three of them on.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I once went to a home for repairs, and the homeowner was telling/showing me everything that he found. He was also at home from work, and wearing his business clothes - button down, tie, slacks, etc. Well one ball valve on the PVB was cracked from freezing. I went to turn it, not knowing the water was on, and as I turned it the water sprayed out through the crack drenching the customer in the face and his business clothes. I just stopped and stared in mild shock, he stared back, and walked away not saying a word. After fixing that, I have never heard from him again.

10. PurpHaze

I often have to be careful as to where on a site I fire zones if PE classes are out and about. It can turn into a wet tee shirt contest real fast as it draws students like magnets. :)