Getting the business long?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Eho, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Hey guys, since I m still in college and still a small business( up to 26 accounts and still growing now) I was wondering how long it takes to go from being getting the business big. I m wondering because I m considering no longer going to school( or at least taking a year off and trying to do nothing but run the business full time) Do you think it would be possible for me to have around 60 accounts by this time next year.
  2. south jerz

south jerz LawnSite Member

There's no set date. If someone sits on their ass and does nothing to improve their company and get more customers, they're only going to go in reverse. It all depends on how much time you put into it- As long as you're educated and experienced through talking to others and using this forum and you do things right.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

First, 60 accounts is not big by any means, not even close to big. But Yes if you work hard and spend several thousand dollars in advertising and mailings you could have 60 by next year. BUT DO NOT take a year off from school to do it because I promise you that you will never go back if you do. You'll intend to, you'll say I'm full of BS that you will, but I promise you in the end you will not.....and no matter how sucessful your business would become you'll always regret not finishing college. Of course if it fails (which 95% of all startup businesses do) then you'll just regret it that much sooner and that much worse because you won't be able to go back and finish because you will have to work some crappy job to pay off the debt of the failed business.
  4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

well this begins by 7th season. i am to the point now where business finds me... through referalls. Things are going too well. Ever have a winter where you close too many bids? well its a problem. In terms of gross revenues, i am aproximately one year ahead of schedule. Do i want to quit school and devote myself full time? yes. will I? no. I only need 12 more hours to graduate. Ive come too far to quit now. I suggest you do not quit. I know if i were to quit now, i wouldnt go back until my mid life crisis...

sure you can grow the business to that. anything is possible. too much growth is just as painful as not enough... trust me, i am getting sore. is it worthwhile to do so now without your degree? I dont think so. Wait a couple years... the grass will still be there. :p