Getting the last laugh

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Dec 16, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Picked up a new customer this year, a very snobby lady that thinks she is better than everyone else. We already planned to axe her for the next year, we do not keep people like her around.
    She decided to take it upon herself to subtract some of the charges off of her bill. However she somehow got confused and thought she owed for two months (October and November) even though October was already paid. So she took the total for the TWO months and subtracted money from things that were done in Nomember off of her bill.
    She really only owed $239.56. She however thought she owed $366.76, then proceeded to subtract $79.20 off of her bill. She sent in a check for $287.56, a difference of $48.00 extra.
    I hate for this lady to think she got over on us, but Matt insists that I bite my tongue and not tell her, cause he says she aint getting back her 48 bucks.
    But If we don't tell her, then she thinks she can go around doing this to anyone, subtracting off whatever she feels she shouldn't have to pay.
    48 bucks aint much nowadays, I'm more than happy to forfeit that to tell her the real deal......
    What should we do?? ;)

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A no-brainer Jodi...keep the money and laugh to yourself IMO.

3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

to make you feel better, you can lend me 48 bucks..

but i wouldn't tell her, just give her the axe and be done with it. as long as you're not at a loss, there are better things to do with your time.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Alot of people like this just like to be in control, if you give back the 48 bux she still thinks she is in control. I would keep the 48 bux and give her the Axe next year and in the long run you know you came out on top. I try to do what is fair and honest. I treat people just like I would like to be treated. But some of them just have to be better or think they have control of us, and they are the ones that I dont have the respect or want to work for.

5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

<shakes head in dissapointment>

1 more post from me today because you people preach about wanting the lawn industry to be taken seriously and then there are posts like these about stealing from customers.

What you do is call the lady up and discuss the problem with her. You find out why she wanted to short you on the bill and then come to an agreement, preferably in YOUR best interest. YOU DONT KEEP MONEY YOU HAVENT EARNED.

I cant believe that you people actually think about keeping the money. Its as bad as having someone sign up for a full year of chemicals, they pay you and then you short them on the amount of apps.

Stealing is stealing no matter how you try to justify it.

6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Send it back to her in a Christmas card with an invoice showing deductions for the card, the stamp, gas to personally take it to the post office, and the total time spent returning it. Total refund = $1. :drinkup:

7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

"1 more post from me today because you people preach about wanting the lawn industry to be taken seriously and then there are posts like these about stealing from customers.

What you do is call the lady up and discuss the problem with her. You find out why she wanted to short you on the bill and then come to an agreement, preferably in YOUR best interest. YOU DONT KEEP MONEY YOU HAVENT EARNED.

I cant believe that you people actually think about keeping the money. Its as bad as having someone sign up for a full year of chemicals, they pay you and then you short them on the amount of apps.

Stealing is stealing no matter how you try to justify it."

we have a $48 surcharge for editing a bill.

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ok lets look at it this way, Jodi has to sit down and figure out this mistake and then call this person and explain. What is her office time worth??? Or is she expected to do this for free, maybe list it as an admin fee

9. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

"But If we don't tell her, then she thinks she can go around doing this to anyone, subtracting off whatever she feels she shouldn't have to pay."
    I agree with this line of thought.
    Pulse no matter what anyone dose to you your still responsible for your own honesty. You do get to keep what she originally owed you so thats satisfaction in it's self.

10. slicklawns

slicklawns LawnSite Member

MajorTom, three thing you need to do. Firstly cash the check, second call her and tell her that she overpaid and you are not refunding the balance and third drop her as a customer on the phone. Simple really isn't it.