1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting the most from your website

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Team-Green L&L, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been working with search engine optimization for 2 years now and can now see why, the majority of, the companies on here aren't getting the hits and traffic to increase sales.

DVS Hardscaper, I'm gonna use your site for an example here, sorry. www.outdoorfinishes.com is a beautiful flash site that would sell anyone who already knew to go there or learned through another medium of advertisement, but it is "flash" and when you use the search term: "keedysville landscaping" on Yahoo it's nowhere to be found. This is how a potential "cold" client will find you.

The point here is this. A site is only as good as it's visibility! With a poorly optimized site, it is necessary to spend more money to get people to the site. Imagine being in a mall with 10 billion stores, how would you find what your looking for? You would use the map in the center of the mall, correct? That is what Google and Yahoo are.

Invest some time into making your site visible and you will find that it is much more useful than "closing the deal".

If you are interested in Search Engine Optimization, but don't have a clue about technique, I may be able to help there. PM me and we can discuss it there.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh you don't gotta tell me, first you build it...
    Then you rebuild it just for the engines (or so it would seem).
    That's after you done rebuilt it 12 times already, of course.

But truthfully speaking, some of the biggest pitfalls are bloated graphics (not optimized or not optimized enough OR plain using the wrong graphic), and improper code (either with errors, non w3-compliant, or both).

So, once the proper balance of the correct images (think in terms of tiny files, like 500k for a button, 1-2k for a logo, 15-20k for a picture max) has been achieved, and the code is in an error-free standardized format (think hand coding arrrg), you're basically ready.
    As a rule, it takes a newcomer a couple of years...
    With mine, it's still taking more than a year (and it's my 2nd).
    Just because, everything has to be perfect.

Some folks will argue about meta tags and google this and that.
    But if the site is ready, she's ready.
    Once I get to that point, I pay the $300 or so it costs to get reviewed (and hopefully listed) in Yahoo's Directory.
    It's one-stop shopping, once approved you will not worry about traffic again.

That's how I do it, then regular reviews and updates on my part, keep things working, check up on things.

p.s.: my site's load times:
    Connection Rate / Download Time
    14.4K / 22.26 seconds
    28.8K / 11.23 seconds
    33.6K / 9.65 seconds
    56K / 5.87 seconds
    ISDN 128K / 1.94 seconds
    T1 1.44Mbps / 0.35 seconds

It's barely in specs, 12 seconds @28.8k is the most I'll accept for mine.
    You can check any site here:
  3. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

I wrote a longer reply to this but evidently didn't save it right...Don't pay that money!
    It's a total gimmick, it does nothing to improve your rankings anywhere, and you can get just as good of search results on Yahoo without paying that... it is a gimmick they use for those who don't know better! And they make a cool $300 for little or nothing.
    Search engines are so competitive these days each one has all the listings the others do...it's just a matter of time and where they rank you.

There is one little mentioned search engine all webmasters know, for getting listed on every search engine well. No one has ever mentioned it here (I think I did in a post long ago) but it's free, you submit your site once, and all other search engines use it for reference if they accept you there.

That's after the site is 100% finished. One mistake many people don't know to do is to put a "robots dissallow" file in their new web site immediately when you start and are "on-line".

Google is so fast these days I have seen them pick up unfinished sites that have only been on-line a week or less. Then (because the site is just started) you have a lousy Google index so stopping all the search engines from seeing an unfinished site is a most important 1st step.

Only after you are finished do you remove that file and allow the search engines to "see" your site. Then (and by using the submission site I mentioned) all the engines will pick you up as best possible for what you have done.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

hey web man where do i enter that info to allow robots
  5. Team-Green L&L

A robots.txt file is uploaded to the root directory on your server. Do you have the coding you are looking for? Are you allowing "all robots" to crawl?

I just read the post about paying for submissions. Don't EVER pay for submissions. If you want to spend money, give it to a SEO expert and get submitted to hundreds of directories for the same price. PM me for answers to any Q's.
  6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

My site does pretty well. I just wish I was more graphically inclined.
  7. Team-Green L&L

You aren't referring to the great ****.org engine are you Webman?
  8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I write most of my web files off line then upload the whole thing.
  9. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

For my snow plowing I come out #2 on google.
  10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

SEO is the most important thing you should focus upon after your website is built. I was #1/2 on google, msn, aol, yahoo for a number of key searches that I designed my site for. It does work. I'm going to be starting another SEO crusade to get some more results for spring 07. If you don't have the time to do it yourself pay someone to get good search results. I've sold tens of thousands of dollars of jobs from my website in the past year.