Getting the right pitch???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dafan6891, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Dafan6891

Dafan6891 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone I'm new here and had a question about height adjustment verses pitch. I own a SCAG 52" hydro 1995. The problem I am having is being able to cut higher that 3" and maintain the right pitch. The deck is mounted in the highest holes, and I have 3 spacers on the casters, with 2 spacers on the blades that gives me 3". Right now the front sits higher than the back. I see that the front should be lower by 1/4". Also the owners manual says to run 3 to 4 spacers on the blade. If I do that then I can't get the right height. :confused: :confused:
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Can you adjust the rear axle up? Also if you are close 10lbs more tire pressure [if not already set high] usually yields about 1/4 inch of cutting height.
  3. walshdevo10

walshdevo10 LawnSite Member

If your sure all your spacers are correct, I would adjust the tire pressure as dishboy said. Probably the easiest and quickest way to adjust it. Just don't go to low/high just to get the desired pitch.
  4. Dafan6891

Dafan6891 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I will check the tire pressure.
  5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Take out one spacer on the front wheels and add or remove one as needed to the blades.
  6. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

deffinately dont want the front higher than the back. i thinku get a better cut with the spacers in the blades i have one spacer in mine and i adjusted my deck with the rear holes which anyone with a fixed deck knows is a pain in the arse, and also the front casters
  7. dont forget the tire pressure ...sometimes you also have to play around with the air pressure in the tires to get the right pitch on a fixed deck .