getting the run around

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NLS, Mar 9, 2003.

1. NLS

NLS LawnSite Member

Has anyone tied to put a bid in and received the run around? I talked to a rather large utility company that was taking bids, the purchasing department told me to send my business card and a letter to him and he would send me a bid packet with all the information about bidding. That was a month ago. I first waited about two weeks then called him back, he told me that there was a lot of bidders so if I would receive the packet within 3 days. I gave it 10 days and called him back to check to see if he skipped over me or if it was sent out and maybe got lost in the mail:dizzy: Has anyone had this happen to them, if so what did you do?

2. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I had a realtor call me and they wanted 50 of their rentals bidded because I advertised the free estimate thing somewhat and it took me a all day to bid that many yards and a week later I talked to a friend about it and they have a full time employee that mows it they just wanted to know what to pay him.

3. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

It happens everyday. It is called business. Know when you are getting burned:blob2: Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me.

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

As someone who comes from a family of home builders and electricians....Grandfather, father, and brother were/are builders...I can tell you, but especially they would... NEVER EVER do business with a Real Estate agent unless you have to! They are notorious for wanting something for nothing, they will tell you anything to your face to get what they want, and they don't pay well. Your experience is just typical. I'm sure there are decent ones, but why step into the vipers nest? You're likely to get bitten.

I have had a couple of PITA slow paying customers the last few years. Guess what, both turned out to be Real estate agents! My guess is their attitude comes from being used to making money for minimal actual work and a disdain for people like us who earn it. Any fool can stick a sign in a yard and enter a home on the MLS. Very few of them in our experience are worth their commissions.

My brother the electrician has had them order lots of work, have it done, then say "it's not my house, it's theirs...go collect from them, I'm just the agent". Weasels.

Thankfully, the internet is making many of the more worthless types dinosaurs who will still be extinct. But I would think twice about doing business with them.

5. TaussigLawnCare

well about 20% of my business comes from realtors but eventually I would like to drop all of the rentals because they are ugly yards and no matter how long you work on it it still looks bad. But all the realtors I mow for pay on time and in advance sometimes.

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

If a lot of LCO's are bidding on a property, that usually means the low ball will get the job. IMO it might not be worth your time to have to low ball and get the run around. I would walk.....to the more profitable stuff.

7. TaussigLawnCare

when you are new and in need of yards you have to go to everything