Getting there, but have some Q's...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by richter24, Oct 30, 2007.

1. richter24

richter24 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am finally there. I have my business name registered, filed for my EIN, and I am set-up as an LLC. (I do not need a business license in Indiana). As far I have figured out through all of this, all I need now is Insurance, which I will get the same as my homeowners. (should give me good rates) Also, my license to use chems.

A few questions I'm hoping you guys could answer.

1) When people refer to "leaf mulching" on here, is it simply running them over with the mower? or am I waaaay off?

2) Are there any tricks to aerating? Do you just hook it up to the rider and aerate away, or should you water first? lay any chems down? so on..

3) When seeding, exactly what does laying down straw acomplish? protection from animals? better growth??

4) Last but not least...I have read the term "Power Raking" a time or two on here...what exactly is power raking?

No way I could have come this far without LawnSite....Thanks guys

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i found this in thirty seconds.....all business in the state of indiana need a state license, and most countie also....

Business Licenses in Indiana
    Indiana Business License - Please note that all information provided here is to be used as a reference only for obtaining an Indiana Business License.. SuccessWithAuctions.com in no way implies that the information contained here is the only requirements needed to obtain a business license in Indiana.

Please use the links provided and above all, research the information for your local government yourself.

Indiana (Note: You are NOT able to register new businesses online)
    Indiana does not have or require one central business license or licensing agency. All businesses however are subject to regulatory requirements that may involve several state departments.

Less formal organizations do not require filings with state government to come into existence. If, however, the business name does not contain the owner's (owners') name(s), it must be recorded with the Recorder of the county in which the business is located. Registration of a business name does not protect the name from being used by another business.

Visit their website here.

Chose your county below for more detailed information.

3. richter24

from Indiana

Like you just pasted "Indiana (Note: You are NOT able to register new businesses online)
    Indiana does not have or require one central business license or licensing agency"......

I just got off the phone with the secretary of state and I was again told I do not need a license in Indiana. As for the online registry, I registered online to become an LLC just fine and was faxed over confirmation from the secretary of state. Like in your artice you pasted, it says "SuccessWithAuctions.com in no way implies that the information contained here is the only requirements needed to obtain a business license in Indiana".....not a credible source..

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you may want to do research on your questions.....

not trying to dis anyone, But I would NOT quote to a customer what was said here on lawnsite.com.....

do your own research and you will find other things while looking....

remember your area is diffrent than the rest of the US....
    so the reason I may do something this way is not why you would do it that way....

Good luck.. I think you have a ton of reading to do

5. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Where are you in Indiana?

6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I think what he means is a "contractor's license" or similar. To answer your questions,

1) Mulching is just running over material and making it cut up into small pieces. You put a special kit on your mower to mulch grass.

2) Aeration is simple. If you're towing an areator, make sure there's plenty of weight on the machine to keep the plugs deep. Try to plan on aerating 1-2 days after rain so the ground is soft. Watering before will have little effect unless its for 1-2hrs... even still it will most likely be muddy. Dry areation is just like spinning your wheels.... no point.

3) I don't know personally. I've never done seeding, just sod install.

4) Power raking is just a machine that has a big rake the spins around and removes dead grass from the lawn. Most people don't offer this service because aeration will help reduce dead grass by adding more air, allowing it to break down faster.

As bohiaa said, this is general advice. You have to research for your specific area.

Good Luck!!

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Only thing I can tell you is if you put down STRAW you best tell the customer this fancy crap you're throwing all around might help germination, but after the fresh seedlings are grown it still looks like crap and does NOT decompose, you have NO intention of removing it, THEY have to deal with it some kind of way and it is a royal PITA to remove, and IF they call some jerk like me they're going to hear what I just said from me so you thought you'd better tell them yourself :laugh:

So...
    I think the best advice is you need to go out there and figure some of these things out on your own. Because we can give you all the answers but you won't know why, and the first time a customer suggests you do it the other way you probably will anyhow... So what's the difference, until you find out the hard way about the details of the how and why of things, there's no way any number of memorized answers is any better than a truthful "I don't know."

Not trying to be rude or unhelpful, but once you get out there and run into a problem, then you might ask some questions.
    Just as well asking the customer, too.
    See at that point some of the answers are more likely to make sense.

8. richter24

from Indiana

I called the Indiana State Information center this morning, and again was told I DO NOT need a license or contractors license in the state of Indiana. The only License I NEED is a Chemical Application License.

I understand no one is here to "dis" anyone...I am asking because I would like to get into those fields, and I could not practice unless I knew what I was doing. I have a seminar I am going to this winter, should be informative.
    As far as quoting customers from Lawnsite, havent done that, I know areas are different.............Thanks guys

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you dont need a license to mow... but you need a license to operate a business.... as the paragraph i pasted stated.....all operations for profit in the state require you to poses a state business license, and many counties require it also....

10. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what he's saying! He doesn't need a special license to provide lawn care.