1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting through a gated yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitro121, Nov 8, 2004.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, if you guys get a job where the yard is gated and your mower won't fit through.....do you guys just push mow the back yard?

I'm thinking of getting a walk behind but don't want to get a big deck because I only do residential yards so far.....but I don't want to have to push mow a yard or give up any jobs. A 36" deck almost seems to small to me....but I don't want a 44 or 48 to hinder any jobs.

2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

How many gated props do u have now and how many accounts total do you have.
  3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, I take a yard stick with me on estimates. If it won't go through the gate, I generally bid it so high that I don't get the job. I do have one customer that has been with me since 1985. I unhook her cyclone fence and pull it out of the way and a 52 with go in there no problem. I usually leave those jobs for the scrubs...lol :waving:
  4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

If my 48" wb won't fit through the gate, I pass on the job.
  5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a Great Dane Gateway 52 inch. deck fold up to 37.5 inches. 17 hp Kaw Hydro drive walk behind mows real nice for a stiff deck. Plus i use it as a trim mower with the over hang on one side i hardy ever trim or push mow anything.
  6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

About 90% of the yards I use a 36 on just do let it in the gate. That 37.5 may have a problem.
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

we had a new 48" last year, sold it this spring and bought a 36". We never used the 48 but use the 36 just about everyday.
  8. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Naa man. the 36" is what i started with. The thing got through gates with the exception of 2 i think. Definatly worth the investment. Go with the 36 if you are keeping it small for now.
  9. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

If your trying to get some new customers and need the money use the push mower. Once you start growing you'll see that it will become a pain in the A$$.
  10. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Metro, if most of your yards have 36" gates, you should get a 36" mower. Just be carefull...a 36" is actually a 37 inch, including the side.

Gravely makes a 34" rider..dont know how good it is, though.

I saw an idea here awhile back.....offer the customer to increase his gate. It costs about $350. Offer you do the leg work and find him a fence contractor to do it. Then, get a commision if you get a few. you make money either way.