Getting tire back on WB

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MLI, Aug 8, 2003.

1. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I had to replace a worn tire on a walk-behind. Got the old one off no problem. Getting the new one on is next to impossible. Ive tried soap/wd40 the rim/soaked the tire in hot water....etc......any other tricks you guys know of?....or am I gonna have to open a can of whip-azz on this thing?!

2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

What size tire is is? I replaced one on my walk-behind. 16x650x8. I ended up placing it in front of a kerosene torpedo heater, not too close, just enough to warm it up. Went on pretty easy.

3. creativedan

creativedan LawnSite Member
    from IL

is it on the rim if yes try starting fluid it seals it on the rim you have to ignigte it so dont use alot

4. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

OK here's the deal. There is a trick to doing it. If you don't have tire tools get 2 or 3 jumbo flat screw drivers. Put the tire on one side by spinning it on. On the other side get it started and get ready to work aroun ONE way taking SMALL bites. The trick is to kneel on the side that is started. By pressing down on the first side you are creating an angle w/thwe circle that will allow it to fit over the rim. WD40 or soap helps, but it is not the key. This is basic. Let me know if you still can't get it and i will help.

5. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

In the last post i assume you can't get the tire OVER the rim. If the problem is seating the tire, don't use starting fluid. I have several times when no other means would work, but it usually blows way up in the air. The safest way is to use a small ratchet strap around the tire and airing it up.

6. creativedan

creativedan LawnSite Member
    from IL

never blew anything up in air, does make loud pop, must use too much starting fluid to cause that. Done it several times last yr no prob. Slime works well to keep air in them.