Getting tire to stay on the bead?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lasher66, Apr 5, 2004.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,
    I have a 36"bunton walk behind and the front tire keeps leaking around the bead and over night it comes off the bead once the tire pressure is gone. I cleaned everything very well and cannot get the tire to quit leaking around the bead. Is there something I can put on the bead to get a better seal so it dont leak. I dont see any bends or dings that would cause this either. Thanks for any help given.

Lasher

2. Eddyyy302

Eddyyy302 LawnSite Member

Hey,

Take axle grease and an acid brush and brush the grease around the bead, and reseat it (with no valve in). The grease stops the leak around the bead. If this doesn't help put a tube in it.
    Dan
    Eddy Landscape Design

3. firekilr2

firekilr2 LawnSite Member

innertube will work great

4. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

You can try slime too if all else fails, but the tube is probably the more reliable way to go.. SOmething must be outta wack like the rim is twisted a bit or the tire is defective ?? one never knows with these things.. I have a slow leak in my truck tire that no one can find but me in the morning when its flat...LOL...

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My vote is to put a tube in it, I strectched a couple of extra seasons out of a set of tires like that, they had become old and were leaking alot because they were starting to dry rot. I purchased some tires this spring and wow its almost like buying tires for a car $$$$$$$ you have shop around for good deals

6. clipslawnservice

clipslawnservice LawnSite Member

take it to a tire shop they have a black rubber sealer that they put
    on the rim, then put the tire back on shouldn't cost more that 5-8$.

7. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Napa sell bead sealer which clipslawn mentions. We use it on occassion and it works well.

8. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

I just to put silicon sealer on the tire bead let it set about five minets then air it up. this has never failed for me good luck

9. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Yea use a bead sealer

10. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Where can you buy bead sealer?