Getting tired of doing grass planting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, Apr 14, 2002.

1. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you go through this - people call you up in the spring to fix up bare spots or plant new grass, then they don't water it? I spend a lot of time prepping the area, seed it, put down starter fert and cover only to have them NEVER water it, and then call and complain that nothing's growing! They are always complaining that they don't want straw put down either, so I swith to Penn Mulch and they don't like the cost! I think from now on I'm going to tell them to get the kid down street to plant them some seeds. :(

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

when i used to do this, i sold them as:

warranted if property has working irrigation system or we irrigated it (for a fee)

otherwise.... "no guarantee!"

3. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

this is called "job security"

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I will not warranty germination. THere cant be anything wrong with the seed, or the fert...if it doesn't grow, its for one of 2 things....1. a storm blew the seed away(which happened at my home after it was just built or 2. they didn't water it. The lco who did my new home would absolutely not warranty it....and now I understand why

5. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I like CaptDevo's idea.

Hank

6. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

What seems to be the problem? Simply explain seeding, for the most part, is done in the fall. Then proceed to list the potential problems that can arise..............I'll usually launch into my speach about it being much more expensive...(because of the added Tupersan, etc) and how you now need to purchase a length of chain to clamp around your ankle...(because, you're not going anywhere....You have to water the lawn)

I usually pepper the conversation with horror stories of spring-seedings past.

When all else fails you might even try the age-old reply......................."Hey, you might wanna call someone else".

7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Kitzy.......lol.....so dry the storm blew it away? Wow. I am just kidding here.
    I never guarantee a seed job period. I give them a talk just before the seed goes in the ground.
    "ok, now we are gonna spend some money. The seed is going in the ground. Are you sure you understand what is happening? I can't control nature, therefore you and you alone are responsible for this seed. By this I mean, if it stays warm enough but not too warm, wet enoungh but not too wet. If you water it at the appropriate time, keep the your kids, your dogs, the neighbors kids and dogs out of it. Don't let the mailman/paperboy walk thru it. In a few days you might have some grass come up. If not you did not adhere to the above rules and it is your fault not mine."

At this point they laugh a little and then look at me like "are you serious?" and i say, "You agree to these terms?" in a very stern manner.

Everytime they say, "Sure"

"Good" I say, "can i please have my check now?" At which point they either say ok or no. I am really not out anything an I can leave. I have never been stiffed. They always say ok. And then I let them off the hook and tell them I will bill them. I have never had a problem getting this money either.

But this is very good way to communicate that you are not responible for the aftercare.

mike

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Yo MORTURF...you're in the wrong business..you should be doing something like writing jokes for Al Bore er I mean Al Gore... .I dont laugh out loud too often but your response was a classic... ...and now since you busted my chops Mr Turf Install God.....how do you strap down grass seed when its soaking wet(thanks to me and my hose) and the barbecue grill just blew through the driveway at 40 miles an hour ?????????????....I'm still laughing....I think I need to get away from the fumes of my aerator.....I'm losing it