Getting tired of low ballers!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by berrlawn, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not a fan or lowballers either but who is.

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

You don't..period.... get out of the mindset where you think you need to. I could give a crap what others charge....

3. FireFighterHill

FireFighterHill LawnSite Member

I was mowing a property the other day and two guys pulled up in a beat up pick up with 2 push mowers in the back and some other beat up lawn equipment to do the lawn next door.

It all looked like they had pulled there equipment out of a dumpster. Of course there over head is almost zero. My overhead is alot higher but then my equipment is alot better quality and will leave the lawn looking alot nicer too.

I wouldnt compete with them, my quality of work and productivity is much higher then theres.

I guess it comes down to finding a balance. Charging enough to make a profit, but also not so much that your draining your customers dry.

4. bc3xx0

bc3xx0 LawnSite Senior Member

Lowballers survive on the people who just don't want to cut grass. They don't care what the lawn looks like, as long as it's cut. They pay for what they want. It's not like the people don't have a choice. They can pay whoever and how much they want to pay for getting their grass cut.

I think we aughta start hating the home owners that hire the lowballers.

5. Texas Lawn

Texas Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

change your target market. Stop going after people who are so price sensitive because your going to hear this same story over and over again. I have more respect for someone who charges a higher price than someone who lowers theirs because they think they "have to"

Its simple economics and the market dictates how well you do. You dont want to get into a lowballing competition because nobody wins. Manage your expenses and stick to your costs, if you lose some potential business in the process, then so be it.

Apple seems to be doing fine with their $7,000 mac computers or whatever they are. You think they care that Dell and HP are half or even a third of the price? Nope. Why? Different Target Market

6. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

i think that's the reason people don't like lowballers the most....it's not that they under bid you and get the job it's that they charge such a cheap price that customers start thinking every lawn company should be just as cheap of a price...so like you said we all lose when people do that...i don't get it really...i mean they are hurting themselves and every other lawn company when they do it...they could be making more money if they just charged the same as everyone else

7. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Man, get used to it. There are always going to be lowballers and sh!tty customers. Finding GOOD customers AND workers ARE the keys to success. Didn't take long to figure that one out.

The lowballers end up burning themselves out quick.
    The bad customers F you over.
    The bad workers, self explanatory.

Just concentrate on quality, all around.

I, personally, like the lowballers. They are motivators for me. They are a clear distinction between quality guys like us and guys just out chasing a 6 pack.

8. bc3xx0

bc3xx0 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, no crap. I won't chase nothing less than a 12 pack!

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Have you considered getting a larger primary mower? Even a 48" would really help with mowing times.

10. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely, but the area I live and work in, ALL my properties have gates. It's not effective for me to buy a 48in and only be able to use it in front yards, I would still need my 32. That said all my gates besides for one will allow a 36 to get through, that's why I'm buying a GS in the 36in variety this winter when the 11's come out.