getting tires foam filled

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by killerwill34, Apr 20, 2006.

1. killerwill34

killerwill34 LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever thought of the idea of getting the tires on your mower foam filled. Does anyone have foam filled tires. I'm looking to find out if it makes a difference because i have a tire that has a slow leak, don't know from where and sometimes i forget to check the tire pressure, just hook up and go on my way and realize when i get to the job. any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

You may want to try some "slime". I got some at my local auto parts store....Works Good on slow leaks!!

3. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Slime works good. I have heard that getting them foamed is excellent. Someone was telling me how they foamed their skid steer tires and the rubber had completely warn away and it was running just on the foam.

4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Foam filled tires are VERY heavy. Depending on how big your tires are, you can easily add a couple hundred pounds to your mower.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It is quite expensive to have tires filled with foam. also, as mentioned above, it makes them heavy. It also makes them hard, and you will have a bone-jaring ride. I would not use the foam fill.
    Try some non water-based tire sealer. Slime will rust your rims, but there is a sealer that is white in color that is not water-based. It is sold under several label names. The one I use is labeled for Grasshopper, and sold at Grasshopper dealers.

6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I like slime. Had a flat last year on my WB, in a very bad spot (bottom of a large hill, how I got to the top again is a blur). After that I used slime in all the tires. No leaks since. Did I mention I like slime? I would stay away from foam filling, makes the tires very hard and that can't be good, no cushioning, I envision wheel spins on WBs and sore asses on riders.

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of misinformation here regarding foam filled tires. The new foams are lighter, softer and have a cushioning effect so close to air filled that you could never guess you were using foam filled. I'd never use a mower without foam filled tires.

8. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

Grassmechanic, I have used a skid steer with foam filled tires. It is old though. It is hell on turf and does beat me up. I was thinking about having my Riding mowers tires filled. I use it as a backup and for clean-ups on really bad yards. Does the new foam have to be installed by a dealer or can you get it and fill them yourself??

9. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

This stuff works great i use it everything from dirt bikes to golf carts.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, I use the WHITE BERRYMAN'S stuff too.

eXmark has the filled front tires from the factory and I can't tell them from regular tires. They feel like an air filled tire with 15 psi of air to me as far as ride quality.