1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

getting to the root of the problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Midlo Snow Maker, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

been awhile how's everyone doing?

found a leak on a 25-30 year old commercial site thought it was a tee leading to an island tip in the parking lot. we started digging and found a head that has not been seen in years, a root had grown over top of the head and no water would show up at all. this leak had to be one of the worst root infested ones i have repaired in a long while.

here is the start of it

and the roots begin to pile up

well look what we found

and here is a new job i picked up nice hat this grass is living on top of this head, i also found a rotor 10' in a pond[​IMG]

came across this the other day too lol

2. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Great pics, Midlo. Awesome root growth, too. Maybe if you lined the area around the head with some vinyl siding...

rainswitch installer = :hammerhead:
  3. lowvolumejeff

lowvolumejeff LawnSite Member

Love the "rotor cap"

4. Waterit

Seems I remember one of the mfrs. (Hardie?) had a rotor back in the early or mid 80's that featured a cup on top of the head that would hold a plug of grass. Another stupid sprinkler idea.
  5. You are not outside the dripline. That tree is dead. Did you sanitize your shooters to avoid introducing pathogens into the root system?:) Haven't seen you in a while. Might want to let our newer posters know why you go by Midlo snow maker.
  6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

7. Waterit

Please do...
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Every year I consider buying one of those....... even if I just use it at my house
  9. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

That's to water the pond grasses.

10. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Count me in as curious.

Based on his avatar, location and DanaMacs comment my guess would be he is the coolest dude (according to the neighborhood kids) by owning a snow making machine!