1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting Underneath your ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ColePyck, May 7, 2005.

1. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Do you guys just use a jack, or ramps, or whats the best way to get under the deck for grass cleaning and blade changing on the fly. Anything worth money to go out and buy specifically for ztr's
  2. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about the top bar search option on this, but to trust your chest fully collapsing to a set of 0-rings from a pump-handle floor jack alone is a hell of a way for the next of kin to cash in.

We jack it to jackstands; or jackstand-support our trailer's back gate and then ride it up the trailer gate with one front wheel offset off of the trailer gate and a piece of retaining wall blocking in one back tire while the pull brake is set also.

Theres a cool 2-wheel dolly style of jack that some here on the site have made homemade, and a few commmercially available.

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Jungle Jack

The only safe way to jack up mowers.

For all your stander owners. Have a stander, must have a jungle jack.

4. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

can that Jungle Jack be used on a 60" Lazer Z??
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely. It's quick and it's easy. It will lift up a Lazer like it's built for it.
  6. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Same as changing blades.... park ZTR with one tire on trailer ramp with the other front tire hanging off........ Should be able to reach all the grass that way...make sure to chock the rear tires. :)
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It sure do!

8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 60" lazer and I bought a jungle jack just for it. The first time I lifted it I thought "Man, that was a piece of cake". I then went to put the safety lock down and it wouldn't go down far enough to latch. I then shook the mower as if an earthquake was happening and it didn't even think about falling. I still put a jackstand under it just to be on the safe side. The only problem that I have with it is that if you are planning on taking it to the back of someones yard and cleaning your deck there. It does not always want to raise the mower up, it will just dig into the ground. You could put a tarp down on the street and scrape there and throw the stuff away.
  9. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I angle mine up the ramp to change the blades and clean. So far so good. Hopefully it won't fall and crush me.
  10. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I like the trailer ramp method. Pretty safe but usually have tp offset to one side, then swith to get full acces to underneath. The other thing we use is a handyman or high lift jack. I dont like them but they work ok. I like to throw a stand next to it though just in case. I think some toros have built in stands. Kubota also has a built in jacking system.