Getting used to a Z!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Mar 28, 2004.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

Today, I went to a local school parking lot to practice driving my lazer z!, I got the hand of it pretty quick, but have some questions, first, is the groaning when making sharp turns normal, is it just the hydraulics? Next question is, it says in the manual to engage the PTO at half throttle, when I do that it seems that the blades are struggling to get started, is this normal, should I crank the trottle up a little when I engage the PTO?

I am very happy so far with this machine!!!!

2. Cleatus

Cleatus LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

they groan alot, get used to it. we have always engaged ours at full throttle with no apparent adverse effect. however, i didn't know the manual said that, i just read one of ours manuals, one for a turf tracer, and it definitely says that. perhaps we'll start doing it. you're also supposed to throttle down for 30 seconds before shutting off the engine, i don't remember exactly why right now, but i know it cuts down on backfires.
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Next question is, it says in the manual to engage the PTO at half throttle, when I do that it seems that the blades are struggling to get started, is this normal,

yes this is normal and you should be starting them at half throttle. its best on the mechanics not to throw the blades from 0-100% all at once.
  4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

You will get a different answers everytime you ask that question. Manual says half throttle. Mechanic says full throttle. I find somewhere around 3/4 works the best.
  5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree Avery....
  6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

With the 25 hp gas engine machine we had and others I have demoed it needed to be at least 3/4 throttle or it would kill the engine. And the hyd. should not be making very much noise when it is up to operating temp.
  7. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

Try putting your throttle on low and put your choke on just to engage the blades. I found that on my Deere Ztrak I can start them at very low throttle with the choke on. Without the choke on it was necessary for the throttle to be at least half like others have noted.
  8. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Brand new machine and you are tearing up the tires on Asphalt. :(
    Just giving you a hard time...glad to hear your getting the hang of it somewhere other than a clients yard.
    I would practice getting close to things, and backing up near obstacles etc. You need to also get on turf so you get a feel for how smooth you need to be. You can tear up the turf bad on a Z if your not smooth and careful.
  9. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I am just the opposite, I was fortunate to start with Z's and I just bought a 52 TTHP.. I need to learn some skills quick....

I engaged the pto at full all the time.. at half it felt like it would almost shut down the machine....Toro Z5.. The hyros pumps seems to make noise until they warm up.......
  10. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

The lower throttle setting you can get while engaging the blades will help the pto clutch last alot longer and the belts!