Getting Utilities Marked

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BQLC, Dec 6, 2006.

1. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

For those un aware of this there is a law in every state that you are to call before any excavation the wait period for each state may vary some are 48 hours some are 72. I am attaching a link to the phone numbers for each state so it is easy for everyone to find.
    Damaging a utility line can be costly for you and cause unwanted down time. and best of all this service is FREE
  2. Rottman

Rottman LawnSite Member

In Ohio, they will come out and mark the line for you. However I found out the hard way, there is a distance of 18" (each side) of the marked line that you are responsible for. I cut the main electric line going into my house in half using a bobcat with a auger. I was off the marked line 12" and was told this (18" rule) by the power company. I contacted the utility marking co and asked them about this and they also told me about the 18" rule. Luckily it only cost me $380.00 to have THEM come out and replace 10' of line. This was after I was told how and where the new line needed to be and I had to trench the line and dig out a 3'X3' area for the workers. I could only imagine how much a optical phone line would cost.
  3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

In West Virginia they will not mark from the street in to the home. They say it is the homeowners resp.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Mike, They mark up to the meter here. Most meters are mounted close to the home.

Rottmann: If you hid a fiber optic trunk line that is feeding an entire town, the fines can be around $1k a minute until its repaired.
  5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here in Md. they do a great job. But in W.Va. that borders me and i do some work there they mark only on the street and will not mark to the house. They say it is the homeowners resp. that is a pita.
  6. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would check with the one call on this it is the utility company's line until it hits a meter or what is call a demark point.
    as far as the 18" it is different in each state in Tenn. it is 24"
  7. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

if you call here they get out that day most of the time and will mark it all from the house to 50' passed from where you stop working.
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

The biggest problem I've had is the depth (or lack thereof) the lines are buried. I've cut three lines in my landscape life.
    1:A phone line with the bed edger!
    2: A cable TV line with the auger even though "No-Cuts" showed the line went a different path.
    3: Another TV cable line with the bed edger!

All three cost me nothing. When they bury a line two inches, they don't have much of an argument.payup
  9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you folks know this already, but each subcontractor - in Oregon anyhow - must call in their own locate, even if it was already done.

I called for marking, waited and then it was done.

Another landscape contractor installed irrigation for me and cut into a cable TV or phone line.

I think he had to pay - fortunately, it was a very inexpensive repair.

He used the marks made for me.

But he was told that he needed to call in himself.

That was a new piece of information to me.
  10. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i won't go to any job without a call to dig safe. its free and only takes a minute. even if i know no lines are in the area i'm in i call. it can really save your a**.