1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting utility locates

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jun 16, 2007.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I just had a thought come through...

A Comcast sub-contractor is coming out this morning (late already, who'da thunk it?) to bury a new cable at my place that they had to replace 4 weeks ago. They never called for locates as my property is not marked. they will need to use a trencher as I have almost all sandstone. Now i know that where they need to trench is clear, as I have had them done before. but don't you think they should call and get them located? For any install or even large revamp work we call for them. Now for every possible repair/service job that I may stick a shovel in, no we don't. But it would seem that they should.
  2. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I'd agree that they should be doing utility locates unless they are planning to hand dig everything. Up here, the cable co's use a plow and pull the line in, but they do locates before they start.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I can't figure out locating responsibilities at all. If a project contains partial public properties then the USA thing goes into gear. When it's solely on our property the different departments do the locating. However, I've seen cross-overs where the utility companies sometimes mark on our property.

I do alot of "utilities locates" this time of year with school being out because that's when a lot of outside contract projects get done.

Since there is no official "irrigation color" we use orange paint to mark irrigation to distinguish it from domestic supplies (blue). Sometimes confuses contractors since orange paint is CTV out on public properties. But they get the idea when a sprinkler head is clearly circled with orange paint and the main lines are marked "IRR MAIN".
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a pic of a utilities locate I did a couple of days ago. The original email from Technological Services just said, "locate utilities" and then gave the area. I did so but then got to thinking, "Why is there a rectangle painted area?" I responded to the email (with pictures attached) that if the contractors were just going to be digging in the area our stuff was marked. However, if the marked white box meant a vault or Christy box was going in we'd have to cap off lines. Response came back, "sorry... vault is going in" so we went back out and capped off the lateral lines. We'll go back again after the AT&T project is completed to reroute lines and reinstall sprinklers.

Crowley Utilities Locate 6-12-07 IV-01.jpg
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

He just showed up and expected to hand dig it. My property is sandstone (hee hee). He is calling the "bossman" to see if he can get a plow to pull it in. I doubt it.
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Purple is the "official" color according to APWA Uniform Color code, it indicates " reclaimed water, irrigation & slurry lines". Oddly enough, I've
    not seen purple as a color for upsidedown paint!www.callbeforeyoudig.com
    What I've done is use wood stakes painted purple to indicate lines we've located.
  7. We just dial 811 for a locate ...
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I dial 1-800-BADGERS
  9. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

We have an 800 number out here in Florida we dial and they set up all of our utility locates.
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic