Getting very nervous

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by coif_kid, Mar 15, 2005.

1. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Well I've put out 800 door hangers so far and only four calls. Pretty low turn out if I may say so. I'm from southern ontario and I'm really wondering what is going on. I did much better at this time of year last year, so I'm trying to figure out what to fix. I really do need the account growth this year with my added expenses of a truck and other items. Thanks for your opinions and advice.

2. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I dont know what your complaining about, that would be a great response for me. Last week I put our 2000 full color door hangers and 1 call, yes only ONE call :cry:

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

1 and 2000!?! Ouch! Why not put your money into a more effective method of advertising? People have seen millions of flyers and doorhangers...try something else.

4. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

This is the first year that I've tried door hangers. So far I've put out about 1997 had 13 calls to date, but some of the calls are from door hangers that I put out on the first day. Seems like that some people wait for several days after they get them to call. I taked to a friendly competitor and he told me he gets 2 to 3 per hundred. So hang in there. I beleive the calls will come.

The thing I like about them is I know that the calls are coming from some place I want to work. If the response gets up to about 1%, and I can land about .5% I have found a knew way to advertise. Although I just lost the last bid to prices I got in 1986, but they won't be in biz. long at those prices. JMO. Tony

5. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't sweat it, still to much snow on the ground. The spring home & Garden shows are just around the corner, most people start to think about green time, then.

6. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Well actually I got 5 calls... 4 of those were complaints to not put fliers on there door.

Your right I need to try a different method of advertising. These home just get bombarded with fliers. Back to the drawing board :cry:

7. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

Try a newspaper add. I use the classifiides each year and get quite a few calls from it. It seems to be pretty cost effective. I have never used flyers doorhangers or anything like that. All word of mouth and newspaper and phone book. Seems to work for me so just a suggestion.

8. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

Are there many other guys doing this in your area?

I know around here there are ALOT of guys advertising in the papers...I tried it for three months last season..Got two calls..One cancelled as I was driving out there and never rescheduled..One took my ideas and hired a low baller guy that I know quite well.

It just so happened that the low baller asked me to help him, so the look on the home owners face when my truck pulled up to the site was well worth the cost of the advertsing!!

-Reuben

9. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

I always wondered what the ratio of call in complaints about the hangers per thousand put out?

10. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Wow... you guys have terrible results! I'm surprised. I have a flyer that has been extremely effective. But in some neighborhoods it was a dud simply because competitors were already entrenched there and their customers were satisfied.