getting wheel off mower

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by yorkpaddy, Oct 17, 2002.

1. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I have a toro 36 based on an exmark chassis, I want to take the wheel off, but I can't figure out how. I took the retaining clip off and the two washers, but the wheel still won't pull off. I have the mower jacked up on a piece of wood. what should I do?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the post. With the clip off and the spacers off it should come off. You might take the drive belt loose from the upper drive pulley just make sure what little belt tension there is isn't holding the wheel in place.

After that look for anything that might be causing the wheel to stick to the axle shaft and clean any dirt, excess grease etc from the end.

You’ll also need to loosen the forked scraper on the lower backside the cleans debris from the pulley grooves. As you will may also need to loosen up the brakes. On our machine the brake is loose in the neutral position so you can usually wiggle the wheel off without backing the brakes off. I’m not completely familiar with the t-bar control so I can’t walk you through that step.

Once you've done all of that you'll need to give it a good yank. Sometimes you can wear a small groove in the axle shaft over time and you'll need to work the wheel side to side and up and down a little bit to get it started coming off. If it still doesn't come off there's got to be a reason why and it may require the persuasion of a rubber mallet to the backside of the wheel in several locations around the circumference of the rim/tire. If that doesn't work, don't throw the mallet because you might break something as well as loose the mallet. I should know I'm still missing a 9/16 wrench.

Instead take the mower to your Toro dealer or better still take it to your Exmark dealer and trade it in on a new Exmark.

Let me know how it’s progressing. I’m sure I can find a Toro manual on their web site and figure out what needs to be done with the brakes if you need me to. You can also give me a call at 800-667-5296.

Thanks and good luck