getting work

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by serenity-john, Sep 27, 2006.

1. serenity-john

serenity-john LawnSite Member

hello everyone john mac here ,was wondering the best way to start getting work i know its not the best time of the year to start my business up but i was wondering how to get a few customers to get going with , ive put a few adds in local stores also my local church notice board im not sure if i should put a add in the paper or stick to the local market untill i get started proper. anyway thanks in advance for any info . this site is wonderful full of ideas and good help .
    john mac,
  2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Well John iam not sure what the grass is doing in Scotland right now. When is mowing season over and when does it begin,Handing out flyer's from door to door,and running add's in the papper seem to work well here for us in the USA.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Tell everyone you know, what you do. Word of mouth is great. Paper fliers on doors (if that can be done) works here. Do your food stores have post boards in them.. cards on them!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

That's good, try a sign on a trailer i pick up a call every week on our enclosed trailers sometimes there good picked up a $30 per cut and trim today on a 7 day cut.
  5. newtex

newtex LawnSite Member

Bid lightly on leaf jobs and get mowing accounts from the favor you gave to the homeowners. You get startup cash and potential revenue later on.
  6. serenity-john

serenity-john LawnSite Member

thanks guys for the advice im lucky at the moment as im still doing my other job ( cab driver ) so getting to chat to everyone in the cab although we are not allowed to advertise on the cabs word of mouth is as good sometimes , thanks again,
  7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not bid too low because leaf cleanups are hard dirty work, and will always take more time than you think they will.

Also if you bid low prices you will always get the cheepies and they will want all kinds of work included in the job. Sometimes they take long time to pay. This is a real good way PITA to get customers you do not want.
  8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

door hangers, fliers and letter your truck and trailer in big words your name phone number and what you do in smaller letters. make sure your color of the lettering someone should be able to read from 100 ft. away. just your name and phone number. the rest of them someone should be able to read from 25 feet or so

p.s. word of mouth is still the best advertising!!!!!!!!
    :usflag: :p
  9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i think we should start a united nations thread around here

we started with fliers and we still do a small amount of fliers in new areas but now rely mostly on word of mouth do a search on just starting and some good ideas may pop into your head
  10. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

John I am new to the sight but I got all my work by local newspaper. I am just part time so I dont want to get to much work but I have 28 accounts to date just from the local paper. I am in a fairly small town maybe 20 to 30 thousand. I still get lots of calls for small jobs here and there, so you might try that.