GFI circuit

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by yardlites, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. yardlites

    yardlites LawnSite Member
    Posts: 9

    In my location it's required to have transformer plugged to a GFI outlet/circuit.
    When at the home giving estimate do I take along a GFI circuit tester and actually try and trip the circuit, if the oulet I'm plugging into is not GFI. That way homeowner is there and can track the GFI whether in kitchen, garage, or basement. Could prevent damage if freezer is on GFI circuit.
    Please help & give your methods.
  2. NightScenes

    NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,209

    I always bring my GFCI tester with me. By tripping the circuit, you can also see what else is on it. If it is on a bathroom circuit, I will tell them that I need another circuit to use. IF on a garage circuit and there is a freezer on it, I will require another circuit. The average blow dryer is about 10 amps and they go up to 15 at times and when a freezer kicks in it pulls around 10 amps depending on the freezer of course. It's usually best to have an electrician either come trough a bedroom wall or put in a dedicated circuit.
  3. yardlites

    yardlites LawnSite Member
    Posts: 9

    thanks paul, but I think the task of locating that circuit in itself could be a big task. I understand what your saying about dedicated circuit or new outlet, but sometimes homeowners just kringe when you tell them more wiring in their home is needed & more $. My house biult in 2000, I have GFI in garage and that circuit runs to family room to bedroom. You could be tracking circuits all day. Thanks for advise.
  4. NightScenes

    NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,209

    I think it would be better to know what is on that circuit than to put in a $3000 lighting system that won't work because the circuit keeps tripping. I would rather explain that the existing circuit has too much on it and we will have to do a minor electrical upgrade or change transformer location, than to try to explain why their new $3000 or more lighting system keeps tripping a breaker.

    I have never, not even once, had a customer complain about putting in an outlet if I needed it. Remember, they are the ones who WANT this lighting system. When it has been installed, they WANT it to work.
  5. steveparrott

    steveparrott Sponsor
    Posts: 1,205

    I agree with Paul and go further - dedicated breaker at the panel for transformer(s). If the circuit is shared, you have no control over what may be currently or in-the-future shared on that circuit. I hear so many complaints about panel breakers tripping on shared circuits and quite often even the electrician can't figure out why - often they'll blame the landscape lighting guy!

    The GFCI can be either at the outlet or the panel.

    And, needless to say, only electricians should be messing with 120V work!
  6. TheHotShotKid

    TheHotShotKid LawnSite Member
    from Ohio
    Posts: 169

    And, needless to say, only electricians should be messing with 120V work!
    Reply With Quote

    Some say only electricians should be messing with 12V work!:dizzy:

Share This Page