GGRRRrrrr!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, May 7, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Im tired of the fly by nighters getting in with the property management companies!!! Just lately I talked to a new scaper in town. He had been working for a industrial company of some sort and got layed off. So 3-4 months ago he went out and bought 2 F-150's 2 flat bed trailers and all the goodies to go with it. He hired 4 men and went out searching for maintenance jobs. He got in really good with a property management company and now is off on his way doing a fair amount of work. IT happened to be a property management company that I had sent packages each holliday to the lady in charge of maintenance on their properties....just a month ago I sent a really nice package to her filled with all sorts of candy to choose from. I send letters every sixty to 90 days. And I call every other month to see if they have any properties for me to take a look at. So far I have spent a great deal of money trying to get in with some of the larger companies in my area and have gotten no where and these fly by nighters are getting in with little to no work! whats your tricks guys? im all out of ideas!! mostly im out of patients is someone picking favorites hear and leaving the hard workers out?

2. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

The trick they use is bidding low. Prpoerty managers are always looking to get the cheapest bid, and don't care if the person has experience or not. They are not all like this, but the majority are. :rolleyes:

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

It has a lot to do with being at the right place at the right time. As pointed out price is the biggest consideration for property management companies. Just keep plugging away and getting our name out there and more work will come.

Gravely_Man

4. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

I wouldn't call him a fly-by-night operator.. I would call him a new business and exactly what he is... new competition. Treat him the same as every other competitor. You'll win some you didn't expect to get and you'll lose some that you thought you'd get to keep. Just because he is a new company doesn't make him a bad guy...... we all had to start somewhere. Just keep at it.

5. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I agree with hboyd...sounds like one hell of an investment for a fly-by-night operation...maybe he got on this site a read about some of you guys that make more per hour than the average doctor and thought he could pick up a few accounts by under bidding, and still make a decent living...lol, Im all for getting the best wage you can, but some of you guys mention $150-$200 a man hour I all I can say is WOW!, I need to move lol..

6. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

It took me a while to understand that no job lasts forever, what we all have to do is continue to prospect for new work on a continuous basis

This practice helps you to increase your customer base but also continue to price jobs at todays prices.

I do not win as many jobs as I used to but my pricing is also higher than most and in turn my hourly rates are more profitable than they used to be.

It is hard not to take the loss of work personally but at the end of the day business is business.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its in "who you know".

8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe I should invest in some Tony Robbins tapes to get my sales inline. I dont have a problem getting the jobs once I get a bid....its getting the bids hah!

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Maintenance division is fairly new for us.
    A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you ...not this year ... I’ve picked up numerous accounts this year because of our reputation. I know for a fact that I was much higher in price. On one property their low bid was 350 per month .. mine was 680 … she asked me to drop the price and I told her “no way that I knew what it takes to look after the property, properly.” After a 5-minute conversation she went with us. Stick to your pricing and be prepared to walk away.
    I actually lost a bid 2 years ago because we were too cheap. Property Manager didn't figure we could do it for that... next year I upped it substantially and was awarded the contract ... they renewed this year.

10. Did you ever go in and talk to them? They don't care about the letter, I bet she didn't even think about you while getting fatter eating your food.

She probably thought she has a secret admirer at the office.