Ghetto Properties?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Gibs, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

I've been asked to quote a few apartments over town and these are pretty much ghetto buildings. but what i am wondering you can tell thsi company doesnt care about their lawn maintenance and they have max 20 mins of mowing wit a 44" wb for 3 buildings on the same corner block? now would you give a little break on their location being all in one area or would you price them as if they were a normal lawn.

thanks

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Normal lawn, and if its like properties in those areas ive seen, charge more because they could be quite a bit of trash and junk laying around.

3. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

i mena some of this properties the lawns r like 10 feet by 40-50 feet max... like 2-3 goes wit the mower and done.. but like is aid theres 16 ghetto buildings.. kinda gotta watch my equipment too

4. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

If I owned a lawn company, I'd charge like a normal lawn. Ya gotta take the good with the bad. You can afford to get paid good on this one, and take a hit later down the road.

5. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i would say charge more and keep an eye on ur stuff...ive had sh it stolen a few times and even more when i worked construction...brand new pack back blower stolen of my triler while i was cutting in the back yard and this was in a half decent hood. i had a cover over the back of my truck that locked and kept everything in there...

6. Hard Worker

Hard Worker LawnSite Member

I placed a bid last year on some very low income city housing, not quite ghetto but close. I bid it as I normally would for commercial property and was way underbid by a large LCO. Also they wanted it mowed for nothing. The LCO that got it way under bid it and has a heck of a hard time with trash & toys. I see them doing a lot of other things besides mowing. Plus keep your stuff locked up!

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

theft will most likely be a concern. also your personal safety too.

8. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I would bid on the properties. In your first statement you said that it did not look like the property owner cared much for the properties. With that in mind I would get a signed contract and ask for a deposit of the amount of monthly cost per location. If you have a problem collecting from them you have at least one months pay. You explain to the customer that the deposit will be credited to the last months billing when the contract expires. I would not give a price break because there will be a lot of trash to pick up and I also would word in the contract that the trash will be left on property in dumpster provided by customer. I have done these in the past and ended up cleaning trash more that mowing and going. The trash will take more time to pick up. Just my 2cents and good luck.

9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow alot of trashy house's in the south end for one of my contracts I have, You charge more. Equipment get's legs and seems to walk off, so does 6 gallon gas tanks lol. There are some we do early in the morning just so that doesn't happen.

Good luck hope you get the bid, but don't under bid what you think it's worth.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

lock it all up tight and get a conceal carry permit

:gunsfirin