GHS Problem/Hydro Loss

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hunting202, Jul 7, 2003.

1. hunting202

hunting202 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I am starting to have some problems with my GHS system. This is an older walker, '96 model. I used to have problems with the ground inside the catcher, but all I would have to do is remove the screw and clean the contact surface a bit. No dice now. I let my brother use it for about 3 weeks while I was out of town, so not sure when it starting failing. Neither swinging motor of alarm is working.

Question is, where are some common places to loose ground/power along the path. I am about to buy a 12V tester, but needed a place to start.

Also, it seems I am losing a little bit of hydro power sometimes. Is this an early warning sign of something, or just older mower?
  2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Replace your belt tennsioing springs with the newer Heavy Duty ones. Also, if your hydro belt is empregnated with dirt particals, that will cause it to slip also.

3. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

The hydros do wear out. This can be sped up by problems in the drive gearbox. Back in 1995 they had some problems with grit in the gearbox oil and this ruined one of my gearboxes. This puts extra strain on the hydro and eventually burns out the hydro. I certainly suggest changing the oil in the gearbox on the slow side and checking for metal shavings. If there are a lot of shavings, then there is a problem in the gearbox. IT may or may not be repairable. IF both the gearbox and the hydro are bad, you are looking at probably about $1200-$1300.