giant mow 3.4 or 4.4 grass catcher?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by professorkev, Oct 19, 2007.

1. professorkev

professorkev LawnSite Member

My Father in law gave me a 1997 36" Giant Mow walk behind for our 3/4 acre home. He just brought it to town today and we took it tothe service shope for a tune up. It's in great condition, I bet it has less than 75 hours. I want a grass catcher for it and was wondeinring where to buy (I've seen places online but didn't know if there is a type of cathcer and place people buy from).

And also, do I get a 3.4 or 4.4 catcher?

Lastly, does it help to have mulching blades on them or are the three blades perfectly fine?

2. GiantVac_23

GiantVac_23 LawnSite Member

I have that mower, love it..... I think my catcher looks just like the other name brand mowers catchers. The mulching blades are not going to do you any good unless you block off the "shoot" on the mower deck. I have reg. blades and they work just great for me....

3. professorkev

Thanks for the response. I look forward to using it. THe shop will deliver it to me on Wednesday, thus the first time I'll be using it (used it in Albanyat my inlaws). It'll be nice to go from a 21" to 36" (at least thats what I think it is)

4. professorkev

Hey Giant Vac, any suggestions on mulching blades or high lift for leaves? ALso, where can you get a mulching plate for the chute?

5. GiantVac_23

GiantVac_23 LawnSite Member

i haven't found one yet, i have found the uni. ones for like $180..... I just took my regular blades, removed the washers from underneath and added them above.... i think its works perfect..... B/c the mulching blades are useless w/o the plate for the chute..

6. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I use a 3.3 cubic foot catcher on my cub cadet commercial 32" mower and it works good. But for mowing large yards you might want to get the 4.4 so you dont have to empty it as much, but the 4.4 will be alot heavier when full.

7. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

I would skip a bagger and get a mulch kit. It is overall better for your lawn as well as being easier to mow. The mulched clippings goes back into the ground and act as fertilizer. You will end up using approx. 40% less fertilizer than you would if you were bagging.

The overall cut should look the same as if you had bagged.

8. professorkev

I agree with you Skimastr, My neighbor has the John Deere 300x with Mulching deck; His son mowed the lawn which had a fair amoutn of leaves, and GOLY, you'd think he bagged it. I was impressed.

Where do you go online? to get the chute plate though? I did buy the Gator Magnum mulch blades on Friday and they are on the way. If I don't like that style I'll just try another in the Spring.

9. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

I get the mulch kits for my exmarks through my local dealer. For my mowers though, they are more than just a discharge plate - they have baffles and other pieces to direct the airflow under the deck.