Giant Mow

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fel, May 14, 2005.

1. fel

fel LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

I am new to this site as well as this industry, know nothing pretty much. I am looking to buy a decent walk behind and have an local dealer that is selling a Giant Mow demo for 1000.00, it is a 32/12 and has some dings and scratches. Is this a decent mower at a good price or should I spend an additional 1500.00 and get the Scag?????

2. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

never even heard of it, are u sure its commercial grade? if its not then i'de deff. say put w/e amount it takes to upgrade to a commercial mower if u plan to use it in the industry for a few years w/a beating from each season...

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I actually have a giant mow. Although, you would never know it since its been painted to many times. Its an alright mower, makes a great stripe. 32" is a little small, but depends on what your cutting. 1,000.00 sounds a little high.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have used one once Nice starter machine.

5. fel

fel LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated..

6. memow

memow LawnSite Member

Hey Green. I am fairly new to the biz. I have a Great Dane Super Surfer 2 48''. I like it. It took a little bit to get used to. Keeping her straight and such. But shes fast and maneuverable. It doesn't hold a hill side well. I have to go straight up and down. Climbs like nobody's business and as long as you don't break a wheel loose going down you can keep her pretty straight and true. My question is. Is this the same machine as the Wright stander? If not whats the difference? And can larger wider wheels and tires be bought for it? Will it help? Thanks. Bill/Memow Nashville

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

No is not even close to the Wright. The older fix deck versions were. Because they stole the idea for wright. The new ones have been build around wright's patents. So thats why it sucks on hills side ways. The wrights are one bad mother on hills. I got several accounts because I am the only guy that has something that can cut them.

As for the tires. I don't know. I don't deal with Great dane. All I know is getting parts for them is a PITA.

8. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I started with a 48" Giant Mow (Giant Vac). Mine had a 15hp Kohler, fixed deck, belt drive. It did an ok job. I paid i think $1100 for it. The only real problem i had was one of the belts kept coming off when i would go in reverse. When I finally got around to looking at it, it was missing a belt guide. Once replaced it was fine. I sold it for $1500. I would of sold it for $1000 but the guy offered me $1500 so i said SOLD!

9. memow

memow LawnSite Member

Thank you for the info sir. NOTE TO NEW GUYS RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH before you buy. I must say the hill deal is frustrating.