1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

GIANT Mulch Install

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by coyotekid, May 4, 2006.

1. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

I don't post a lot, but I do read the forums often, and I appreciate all the info provided.

With that said, I'm currently working up a bid for a mulch project bigger than any I've ever done or seen done.

I looked at the job today and measured everything with my rolling wheel--I've calculated a total of 155 cubic yards! And yep, my math is correct if figuring 3" mulch depth. :)

The customer has already had one semi-load of mulch delivered, and I believe I'll be needing substaintially more.

How in the world should I bid this?! The beds are already formed, but they need to be weeded and a lot of old bleached-out mulch has to be removed (it's THICK). The customer would really like some type of weed barrier installed as well. I'm not that sold on landscape felt or the commercial weed barrier, but customer is convinced it's needed.

I've also got to install a substaintial amount of metal edging. In the past I've used a lot of 1/8" by 4" metal strapping and had great results--that's a common practice in my area of Montana if it's not elsewhere--I'm not sure on that one.

Can anybody offer some advice? I'd really like the job and definitely need the work, but I'm afraid to charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $6,000 for a mulch job! I also don't want to go broke on this project...
  2. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Call a mulch blower and have him sub through you.
  3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

^I would second that. That is too much mulch to spread by hand.
  4. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

Ive spread 100 yards by hand with 15 guys we got it down in about 10 hrs in the rain. i was the forman and it sucked trying to get 15 guys to all spread it the same and work not bs. we only went about an inch thick though. i have no idea what job cost, just was told to run it. have fun. im sure they know its not going to be cheap they have had it done before.
  5. coyotekid

I'm really not sure a mulch blower would work in this case...

There's going to be a wedding in the near future and they'd like to keep the impact on the lawn, etc. to a minimum.

Also, remember that we're out in the boonies here in MT--I don't know of anyone that does mulch blowing around here.
  6. coyotekid

Oh ya, and there will be two of us doing the job...lol. I see some 15 hour days in my future. :)
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Just with the info you have posted.Cleaning out the beds,removing(and hauling out?) old mulch,laying,cutting and pinning the landfab,and putting down 155 yards of mulch.I am getting $8500.00 to 9000.00 Labor only.And thats a low price.
  8. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I am at $10,500.00 everything included, except prep time to do it by hand.
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Wadda ya mean except prep time to do it by hand?WTF you think most of the labor is going to be..laying the mulch is the fastest easiest part of this job.
  10. coyotekid

Thanks for the advice everyone! I see that I'm not out of line at all then in my general thinking.

The manager of the property would like this to become a yearly job, so it's worth it to me to slightly low-ball it to ensure the work in the future.

Maybe that's poor business, but guaranteed work is comforting to me!