Giant Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by V.H. lass, Oct 17, 2001.

1. V.H. lass

V.H. lass LawnSite Member

Went by the local shop today and saw a 48" Giant vac mower (belt) electric start/elecric blade starter. The salesman said the price for the mower was 1900 and if I wanted the 36" the price would be 1700. has anyone used one of these mowers before or no about these mowers. if so how sre they and is this a good price. thanks in advance

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

well. i dont have one, but i have seen some people using them and talked to the dealer. most people i see using them are homeowners. it is a commercial machine, but i guess the price is attractive to the homeowners. according to my dealer, simplicty merged with giant vac. they are in the process of beefing up their leaf blowers to compete with little wonder. he said they werent very sure on the future of the giant vac mowers. of course this is all here say, so maybe somebody else has something to prove different

3. jdseven

jdseven LawnSite Member

I have been using a giant vac 36" mower for 5 years and have had no trouble with it other than replacing belts. This mower has about 2000 hours on it and it has a 14hp kohler. That sounds like a good price as I paid $2200 with a grass gobbler catcher. Its a well built machine and it does a good job cutting.

4. linky

linky LawnSite Member

V.H. Lass
    My first mower was a giant vac 36. Speaking from experiance i will say that i should have purchased a mower in the $2500-$3000 range. For the extra money you will be much more happy and productive. For the price they are ok i guess. The only giant vac dealer that i know of in Richmond has been a pain to deal with. If you are in it for the long haul purchase a mower that will make it. Purchase a mower that has good customer support. Buy it from a dealer that will take care of you. Buy one that will have good resale or trade in value. It may be worth your while to look at toro or exmark. I think i saw an exmark 36in. for $2300 at American Power Equipment Center. I am not trying to discourage you just giving my oppion.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

But its all strong! They're better known for their blowers and truck loaders. I had one of their mowers practically given to me by a good friend who happened to be a factory rep. I worked the hell out of it and it took a good beating. I took it where I didn't want to take my ExMarks because I was afraid to bend the deck or something like that.

They work good and they are simple to work on too.