GIE What Did you notice that was cool

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcambrose, Nov 17, 2002.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

GIE was great. I love the trade show. I only had about 2.5 hours to browse, but I did it at high speed. I had three things that I wanted to get find answers about. I was looking for a new electric fertilizer spreader for my walker. The JRCO unit was awesome. It is built so much better than anything else I have ever seen. I plan to buy one if I can sell mine.

At the Walker booth I noticed a new deck adjustment kit. It allows you to set the Walker deck with just one lever. There is a series of four chains that lower and raise the deck instead of using the pins. Looks like a good idea. You can still use the pins if you want to make the deck tilt.

Anyone else have something that caught their eye.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I saw the deck adjustment kit that you are talking about, seems like it would be pretty handy. Was that a kit that you can add on or was it a new deck? I got to test drive the Walk behind at the product field day. I have to say, and not just because it's a Walker, but I really like it. Bob told me that you could put the 52" deck on it. Later he told me that the 15hp KAW was the only engine being offered for right now (or maybe it's just the only one they have put on there now). That engine won't be big enough to power the 52" deck.

MATT

ps I just got home about 10 minutes ago from driving 12 hours. There were a lot of other interesting products, but I am too tired to talk about them now.

3. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

The little english built (MEC) sod cutter that came home to live with us! I wonder if we really need it but heh! the boss say's she is buying something who am I to argue! And maybe she will look like Charlie Dimmock when she is running it! Heck I will take off work to see that!

And for those of you that do not know who Charlie Dimmock is, go watch Ground Force on BBC a couple of times and you will get the point.

I saw a similar American built machine that looked very nice as well (I forgot the name something like TIGAR???) Everything was orange, but the $2500 show special price was a little steep for the amount we need the thing.

Well, let us hope the thing is well built! Anybody with questions about it, let me know! The wife just got so fed up trying to run the rental units that just worked her to death, that I think she just could not stand to pass this one buy, It took the guy about 10 seconds to explain it, and she was in gear, cutting sod, no muss, no fuss!

Al B

4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Alan
    is that the little blond english hottie that never wears a bra :)

5. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

I am certain I am lagging way behind everyone else but what I really got a kick out of was the Hustler Walkbehind. I loved the T-bar. Man, was it easy to use. When I hire some guys via H2B (Which I talked about to several different firms there that handle this) they will be able to mow in minutes after touching the machine. If you haven't tried the Hustler (especially the walkbehind) you should!!! They have a wonderful product.

I also never tried the Redmax backpack before. Man, that thing will blow the color out of grass. I really liked the air flow against my back too. This will be a feature that I will come to love. I am surprised the others haven't incorporated something like that in their product.

As far as negatives go... I am sick of the misinformation that some of the companies spread about their competition. I have no problem with companies telling why their product is superior to others and inversely explaining the weaknesses that their competition suffer. However, they need to make sure that their facts are straight, otherwise they lose crediability... at least in my mind they do.

If I think of other neat things I will post them later.

6. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

I've never seen so many different businesses set up to handle H2B redtape. And the prices varied all over the place. This is one area where shopping should really be done carefully.

7. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

What is H2B?

Ya Harry, that would be her!

Al B

8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Seasonal Mexicans

9. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

H2B is a program that allows you to bring in Mexican (or to be exact foreign workers) for seasonal work. I believe for our industry the time period is ten months. You must pay them at the going rate for your area. It takes about 4 months to get the workers in country.

What do you get out of it? Workers that will WORK and they will be more likely to not just walk off leaving you stranded. The workers you get will also be in country legally, so you don't have to worry about INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) knocking on your door.

These agencies have offices in Mexico and headhunters looking for people that want to come to the US.

10. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Also noticed a couple of the vendors had spray tanks with small sumps in the bottom to allow you to empty the tank fully. I plan to order one of these this winter and replace the tank I have.