Gift Etiquette

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Caring Customer, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Caring Customer

Caring Customer LawnSite Member

Hey Gentlemen.....and Ladies if there are any out there. I stumbled onto this board looking for some information on stump grinding and started reading thru it. Very interesting and has given me some things to consider.

I am interested in giving the guy who works on my lawn something for the holidays. I was going to bake him some cookies and give him a card with $100.00 enclosed to spend how he sees fit. Well, I mentioned this to my sister and she said I should buy him a gift or even purchase a gift card instead. She said something about cash not being very personable. Her point may be valid if I really knew the guy but he's only been working on my lawn since August. After speaking with him I did get the impression that his business is fairly new and he did mention that he works seven days a week. I'm not sure if he works seven days a week because he has a large clientele or because he really needs the money. These are things I took into consideration when I initially decided to give him cash. I don't really know much about him or what he likes to be able to purchase him a gift that he may just end up throwing in the basement. I did make a Halloween basket full of candy for him and knows that he does like candy but I'm looking for something more. So....I guess what I'm asking is, would you prefer the cash? Thanks for you help.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think a gift certificate would be very nice and thoughtful. Not many customers do something like this, and its always a warm weather when they do. In fact just a small token of your appreciation for his work will go a long way
  3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

A card, something baked makes it personal. I would say a gift card like the Visa or American Express gift card would be the way to go. That way he can use it where he wants to. I would suggest a little bit of all three.
  4. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

It's very nice of you to think of your landscaper during the holiday season with something so generous. He will be very happy.

I would suggest a gift card to a place that you might think he frequents, or likes. Best Buy/Home Depot/Sears/Sporting Goods, etc. etc.

Often times cash can get spent on worthless items and before you know it and there is nothing to show for it afterwards.

Just my 2 pennies.
  5. Sir Sel

Sir Sel LawnSite Member

I'm new to the lawn business but have been dealing with customers in my current job for 21 years and can tell you that a card with a crisp new $100 bill would be make me :blob3: . You would never be forgotten and I personally would give you priority treatment from now on.

Either way your gift would greatly appreciated. Too bad there's not many like you that truly appreciated dedicated service. :drinkup:
  6. Tulsa Lawn Guy

Tulsa Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

I'm blown away at your generosity!

I've never heard of such a gift from a customer, and I've got some loyal clients.

As far as a gift idea, if he is a 'techie' he might appreciate something like an gift certificate. You can buy almost anything from the comfort of you office chair! It's the only way to shop! :)

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

He will be pleased with what you decide to do,I have never heard of somebody so generous.A 5 or a 10 is about all i can brag about.
  8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I think he would appreciate the cash or a gift certificate/ gift card. That is quite a nice gesture for a lawn service provider for the last four months.I know I would really like GC's for local restaurants, as we eat out quite often during the summer. I have had many clients for over five years, and never recieve anything close to that $$ amount from them at the end of the season. It's the thought that counts, right? :D
  9. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

Can not go wrong with cash, and I hope he appreciates you as much as you do him.
    If you ever need a new yard guy, just post here and you will get a lot of takers.
  10. Tobruk79

Tobruk79 LawnSite Member
    from Fl

Cash (of any amount), Card, and cookies, sounds very nice, I know Id be smiling. The only thing that could make that better is referring him to a friend or two.

just a thought if you want to give him a gift instead of cash you may want to look at Peltor Worktunes (?) hearing protection / radio. I dont own a pair, but the with the way the guys on here talk about them, I may ask my wife for them.