Gifts at time of estimate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roscioli, Jan 14, 2003.

Gifts at time of estimate, ethical or not?

1. Its unethical to give gifts at time of estimate.

16 vote(s)
  2. Its perfectly fine to give gifts at time of estimate.

11 vote(s)
  1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Would it be unethical to give gifts at the first meeting with a prospective client? Say at the time of the estimate.. I am talking maybe a couple of mugs and some nice coffee, maybe include a pen or magnet, etc... What do you guys think? I will even post a poll.
  2. Clayton800

Clayton800 LawnSite Member

Nothing past company logo items. Anything else would be percieved as cheesy and will be dismissed.
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

just don't spend too much at first. you never know....
  4. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

Not unethical, but cheezy.........I think you have the definition of ethical incorrect.........just cut the lawn, make it look great, and that is their gift,........and you are getting income from it...........I have several clients who give me and my children special gifts during the holidays....and expect nothing in return except the holiday greeting and great service, that is it.....and it has worked for not overextend yourself....ET
  5. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

At the time of any estimate... maintenance or installs. This would leave them with a very strong impression and keep my logo in their face. I don't think it would be cheesy if done correctly.
  6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I totally agree u never know if they called just to get a free estimate.
  7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I have never given anything but estimates when I'm out with a potential customer. When I get business cards I would definatly think that would be the only thing I would give to a potential customer besides the estimate.
    We provide a professional service to them and after we are done that is our gift to them a great looking landscape. Priceless :cool:
  8. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I just give a card when I do the estimates. But after a season I might give a client a logo imprinted gift. One year I gave out rain guages with my logo and number. That was a huge success. Another year I gave a flower seed packet and 2"x4" planter with my logo and number. I always try to relate it to my services.

9. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

Where did ya get them logo rain guages ?

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

i'm not sure if it's cheesey or unethical or what...maybe just unwarranted or just too early???