1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Girlfriend...love her, but a PITA!!! haha

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fitzg2md, Sep 10, 2007.

1. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

I caused a big ruckus today with my girlfriend of 4 years. I was offered a position at a rather large up and coming lawn care biz in the area. They do just maintenence, but have alot of opportunities for design build jobs and some very cool installs. I was offered the position of being in charge of growing that new division of their company. Very intelligent owner willing to pump alot of cash into it too. Their goal was to have the division grossing as much as their maintence division in 2 years. I was offered a decent (not amazing, but decent) salary to start, with significant increases at certian milestones. Salary of around 90k within 4 years if things went as planned (do they ever?) I thought long and hard and graciously declined. I love design build and that side of the business, and it is the direction I want to take my own company. My growth will be slower since I cant unload 200k into advertising and equiptment etc. Im only 24, no kids, no wife...so for me, now is the time to do this.

My girlfriend was PISSED...she saw that as a great opportunity that I passed up (maybe it was). She wants nothing more than for me to use my degree and get a 9-5 job and slowly climb the ladder. I realize I am talking to a bunch of other small business nuts, but does anyone think I should have pursued the offer, or do you think I made the right choice? And where can I find a good source for sedatives for this wonder girl (and dont say the diamond store!!!:waving: ) -Mike
  2. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

It's about what you get paid now. Not later.

I worked for 20 years in Manufacturing plants and paid for all my equipment out of pocket while doing side jobs. Side jobs took off.

It also depends on how much you're making now.
  3. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

I think you need to go with your gut feelings. Sure, it may have turned into something over time with the company offer, but you would have always wonder where you could have taken yours. Hey, you have time on your side. So take the time to grow your own company. Maybe someday buy out the other!

Regards and best of luck,

Eric D
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

What did they offer NOW and what are you currently making NOW? Those are the only 2 that matter.
  5. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

No way in hell i would ever work for someone else. Did the college think got a degree and lasted 2 years working for someone else. Some people are meant to be a part of the 9-5 herd and some people are meant to be the wolf. Needless to say I think you made the right decision.

If you don't make it on your own you can always go to work for someone else.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I have two points to make...

If something seems too good to be true... it probably is.
    Making 90K a year as the employee of an LCO... sorry, but that's a pipe dream.

You are correct... 24, no kids, no wife, no serious life burdens... now is the time to sacrifice to get your business rolling good if you want one.

All that other crap can wait until later in life until the business is totally stable and you feel comfortable with those other life obligations.

It might be a good idea to find a new girlfriend... one without the 9-5 mentality.
    I certainly wouldn't let things get any more serious anyways... not for years.
    If you do... I have a hunch both of you will be miserable in short order.
    You are not a match.... not yet anyways....
  7. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Ditch the Golddigger. No offense. Unless she's really hot, then keep her. But under no circumstances marry her. She'll never be happy now that she heard $90k, until you make it.
  8. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

hahaha...well i didnt tell her the salary. Im not totally ignorant! I understand that what is offered now is what matters, but this is far from a pipe dream. I was being hired basically for a management position with pay equal to what I can do for the company. All in all, a very good offer. My quelm was that all the had work I would be doing I could be doing for myself. A bit more risk, but sooo much more reward!
  9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if she's acting this way as your gf, imagine how she's react if you were married... take it from guys that know.
  10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Kick that chick to the curb. Find one that wants you to do what you want to be happy. Not what she wants you to do. It wont stop here man. Next thing you know your hobbies have to go. Gotta find the one that wants you to be happy no matter what.

Even if you like putting on a paper hat and selling curly fries. As long as you are happy she should be happy.