Give a little, to take a little?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Jun 12, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmmmm... I'm just wondering if any of you guys have a deal worked out with a real estate agent?

It seems that I've been getting lots of work from real estate agents this month, I currently service 3 real estate people and they are nice, gives me lots of work..

This one real estate guy just gave me 6 properties to do, nice houses too.. (1 of em is crappy)

He told me that when he sells a house, he gives the customer who bought the house a free month of mowing.. I was thinking to myself, hmm.. I can give maybe a free cut then talk to the owner of the house if he would like me to continue the service at his expense??!?!

Any fo you guys give like a free cut, or work a deal out with somebody? I know if you get a referal from bob, you give him a job? something like that?
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Ever wonder why Lawyers and real estate agents need to dress up? They have to overcome their slimey nature. You may have found the needle in the haystack but, I doubt it.
  3. alpine692003

what do you mean?

I know that people are telling me, you offer free mowing that then leads to free other stuff...

The incentive I can offer is just a cheaper rate for em? like $5 less or something like that, instead of free mowings..

I know some people over here offer free mowing to referal customers.. someone refered me to do their service..
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Be very, very careful!

realitors look after realitors and from my experiences quite enjoy screwing over lawn workers any chance they get, and DON'T give your services away, if if says he gives a free month of mowing that certainly doesn't mean you have to even though this is what he is implicating, he makes enough profit to cover this, not up to you to oblige his deals to others.

These guys are not loyal, don't look at them for long term work, usually the cheapest they get and they are the middleman, someone beats your price and youre out.

I used to do a lot of work for realitors here, most burnt their bridges fast, now they have screwed most of the lawns guys around the cycle is starting again, they are calling, I'm rejecting out of principle, I'm not their lawn w.hore which is how they treat contractors.

If you have found good realitors, of cource stick with them but be careful not to get shafted, do not ever work for free!
  5. alpine692003

Ya... I've serviced 1 real estate agent and he paid me on time right away actually. He even invited me to his house to meet him!

And then there is a new real estate agent ( I service her mom's house) I doubt she will skip pay, lol.. or I'll do some free landsacping to her house...

Then I just picked up a new one, this one works in the same office as her!!!

He offered me tons of work, but I told him to slow down and I can only do a few next week.. lol.. I guess i'll see how it goes and I'll keep you guys updated on "REAL ESTATE AGENTS"
  6. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

I do work for a realator that has a lot of rentals and tennants are responsible for the and I only do it when they move out and the properties are vacant usually a pain because tennants usually don't do anymore than they have to but the realator pays well and on time
  7. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

I too work for 3 large estate agents in UK (big companies) give me work all year round, mending fences, "garden tidys" tree felling. Always pay direct into the bank on 28th each month approx $1200 each, very useful cash flow. As turftammer says though can be a pain, people in rented accomodation dont look after the garden!
  8. alpine692003

Yah ... I hope these real estate people treat me well..

The horror stories you guys told me :|

sigh ...
  9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, my wife is a real estate agent, and no slime ball either!!! :mad:
    There are good honest agents just as there are pita, no paying, cheepo customers that will try to cheat you every chance they get in every neighborhood that we work in. If you have extra time on your schedule, it is a good way to fill it with work.
  10. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member