give a speech

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, May 28, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i've been asked by a friend of my brothers to give a speech about being a LCO to his high school AG business class... have any of you guys given speeches? They need a speaker to deliver 40 minutes worth... what on earth do you tell high schoolers? :confused:

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

i'm a highschooler, I can help you out. i am part of a Career Exploations Club too just to get otu of class once a month and I know what to say.
    First tell them what you do, telll them the education you got, tell them what kinda things you use in your workday, tell them your expenses and what you do financially but there is always that one person who asks how much money d you make a year? I hate it when they say that. Just be yourself, you'll do just fine. ;)

3. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

Prepare... Prepare... Prepare!

I used to teach a 2-3 hour class once a week to high school aged kids... and I can tell you this... they are smarter than you think and if you are not prepared they will eat you alive! I used to figure a 4:1 time ratio. For a one-hour class, you’ll spend four hours preparing.

On a positive note, 40 minutes is not much time at all. Figure in about 5-10 minutes at the end for Q/A and you’re already down to 30.

Here is a simple structure that can be used for any situation like this...

1. Intro- get their attention
    2. Your background and experience- why should they listen to you?
    3. Overview- tells them what you are going to be telling them and what you want them to get out of this.
    4. *Topic (whatever you are going to focus on: elements of running a biz, different specialties, equipment, contracts, how to get started, education, whatever….)
    5. *Topic
    6. *Topic …etc….
    7. Summary- Recap the main points that you told them about in the overview, end positive of course
    8. Q/A

Also some visual aids… as long as they enhance your presentation and are not a distraction. PowerPoint is great as long as you are proficient with it. If your not, don’t try it.

And have fun!

Oh yeah... make sure you practice and prepare!

4. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Glad i"m not in your shoes.

Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck

5. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I teach high school and do lawn care to get away from the little buggers.....I agree with the post above "PREPARE" and good luck

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just turned pro gave u everything u
    need. one thing at the end of your talk,recommend that they not go into this buisiness. its swamped already.
    im just half kidding. if i sound selfish its because when i started doing this ,there was one other add besides mine ,in the paper. now theres a whole colum,and about every 4th truck u see is some form of lawn care.least it seems so.