Give Bad Boy some respect

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You know you are a Pro lawn guy when this happens to you...

My daughter comes to me on a Saturday morning and says...
    "Daddy... can we go to the mower store???"

She's 7... and about as girly as they come.

When she asked me that, I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing or what. I know we all get busy as business owners, and I've been back to work buried in the books for the last week. So I hope it wasn't bad and that she asked me thinking I'd surely take her for some father-daughter time.... and i also reminded me of this old thread that's a good read for you other fathers....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=79802

Anyways, on to the topic of the thread.... I decided to take her for a bit of shopping and a trip to the mower store. Except I decided we would go have a look at something we had never seen before.... as I had found out the location of a Bad Boy dealer within decent driving distance.

So we jumped in the truck... nothing doing but that we take it either... LOL... we took off. As it would turn out, we should have went to the mower store first, then went shopping. The place was closed.

So we were there looking at a Bad Boy in the flesh for the first time through a fence. As luck would have it, the owner was still there finishing up some saturday evening stuff. He unlocked the doors and came out to invite us in.

He had the whole 2007 model lineup on the showroom floor. We looked them all over really well.... and I'm telling you... you all know I'm not easily impressed. But the design and construction of these mowers is impressive.

The internet just does not do them justice. You have to see the dawgs in the flesh!

They listened to reason... almost all of the models have been updated to the more appealing Lightning & Pup styling. The mass of their construction is just unreal too. Quarter-inch thick decks with reinforcements (like reinforcement is needed... LOL). Half-inch thick casters. 2" x 2" 11 gauge frame rails... 4 of them instead of two. Massive horsepower from big-block engines and CAT diesels. Big pumps and motors with cooling systems. Heavy duty tires.

Plus they still have the 'swing-open' features for service. Everything is right there. They also have receivers for hitches on both ends. Plus they have several simple suspension items and options.... Nice seats.... rubber bushing looking shock absorbers... flexforks....

For you speed lovers, they have the speed too. Models ranging from 11-15 MPH. And disc brakes for when you want it to sit still.

A feature I liked is that they are nice and short coupled.
    The ones I like are 75" long... short like my Ztwo.
    The longest is only 85".
    They are also nice and wide like I like my Z's

They are also NOT as tall as they appear online.

The only things I didn't care for was the electric deck lift. I didn't operate it. But I prefer manual with the foot assist.... and I didn't care for the hydro tank setup. Nothing wrong with it at all. Their oil stays cool enough for a plastic reservoir tank, which I think is great.... but I pointed something out and mentioned he should make a suggestion to Bad Boy.... See the hydros have an independent setup on each side. Both sides have their own plumbing and their own filter.... but it's like they had a brain fart on completing the concept because both sides share a common reservoir tank. If they had two small tanks the hydros for each side would be totally independent like ONLY Snapper Pro is. This is good because it eliminates the chance of CROSS-CONTAMINATION.

Overall I was very impressed with them from the showroom floor. The only big things that are yet to be seen is how the mower handles (turf friendly? good on slopes?) and the CUT QUALITY. They have a new deck for 2007 by the way...

Here's a 2007 picture...

Their 28hp & 35hp CAT diesel monster

[​IMG]

.... and I will try to get one up of their new deck design which looks unique but questionable at the same time. It's baffled pretty similar to eXmark, but is quite a bit different at the discharge area. The last few inches of the front baffle is different... and the whole side of the deck is open for discharge with no turbo baffling or rear baffling at all.

2. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I checked out the Bad Boy mowers at the local dealer here and they looked homemade to me and no where near the level of fit and finish of most other commercial mowers. That was about a year ago.....

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I've always thought they LOOKED like a decent mower, but I have never seen one , and no dealers carry them, so with that said they have never been an option.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Envy

Whats the blade speed? In the video it looks like the mowers are going slow like the first triton mowers did.

How heavy aer they??

5. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a pic...[​IMG]

6. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I have never though Bad Boy was not a bad machine. Ron was you looking at there consumer line there kind of cut back from the pro line thay make.

I looked at a Bad Boy (and was going to buy one) untill i came across a really nice used Dixice Chopper for a great price.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

They bring those in every year to our state fair. They had maybe a dozen of them this year on display. IMO, they have cama a long way in the past few years apperance wise. I know there are Bad Boy operaters on this site, Iv'e seen them posting before! The swing out fuel tanks is really neat. Overall looks like a darn good mower now.

8. Envy Lawn Service

I haven't seen the video. They don't advertise a blade tip speed and I haven't been able to get an answer on that myself. Coming from those guys though... I would expect it to be high.

How these things cut is totally questionable for sure though.
    nmez21 was kind enough to post us a picture of the '07 deck.
    THANKS

As for the machine weight....
    They don't advertise that either... LOL :laugh:
    Again, I would expect it to be high.

When a mower has a solid 1/4" deck, 1/2" forks, 4-rail frame, ect...
    Well, I figure asking what it weighs is about like asking a woman's weight... :laugh:

9. Envy Lawn Service

That's what I'm saying.... they look much improved.

I believe this is now a new brand that's here to stay too.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Their earlier models... I would have agreed with you then too.

Earlier on, they looked like SuperDuty Dixie Choppers or something with really orange paint. In otherwords, they looked homemade like Dixie, but built heavier and painted.

They have came a long ways from that now though.
    They have a couple units that still look that way and that's it.