1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

give customer option of walk or ride

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Nov 6, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i was looking at pciking up a walk behind more for back up purpose but i thought of giving the customer an option to say i can use a walk behind on your property just add 20% to the price of the cut?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately, I think the cost of the cut is based on the size and complexity of the yard, not the type of machine used.
    Because if a 1/4 acre goes for $35 then it's $35 whether it takes me 10 minutes or 3 days, it's still a $35 yard.

As for me, the Z eats 2gph and costs close to 3x the price of the Wb... So on anything under an acre the Wb is far more efficient, in my case it is actually cheaper to use the Wb vs. the Z, I reserve the 60" for BIG lots (1 acre minimum).

Otherwise, I'd be all for using 21's and just charging about 4 times the cost vs. using the Wb + another 20% over the Z = 480% x original price :) thou I like the math, I must admit... Since I could take 3 hours to trim and double cut this 1/4 acre and then get paid $180, I'd only need 2 yards / day.

Now, IF you have determined which machine does a job the most efficient AND your customer insists that you use the other machine, then yes you'd likely have to charge extra. But to suggest this, I dunno man, heheh...
  3. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I think that puts the homeowner in control and they will expect something more from the extra money. I think that if they give you a complaint you should tell them that you can use your walkbehind. But I aggree that walkbehinds are better on smaller yards!
  4. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

what about this i see some crews (big lco) that use 2 mowers with 2 guys then both done mowing then both trim , edge why not just one start mowing an one whip?
  5. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

In the real world, yes, to the customer a 21" is something they see as giving a better cut, and why not charge them more. If they perceive the cut as being superior, it deserves a higher price. How is a mercedes priced higher than a honda. Perceived value and different product. A lawn cut with a 21" is perceived as better because it takes longer...!!! Worth more in my books, so charge more damn it!!! :)