1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Give it some air!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys. Just got home from picking up my Exmark Turf Tracer Hp 36" 15 HP. I went out and tried mowing my lawn with the mulch kit on it. Well, I was really dissapointed at how it cut at first. Then, I realized it wasn't getting air under the deck, because it was blowing grass out the left side BAD! My dad was pissed because he thinks that if I spend $4500 on a mower, it should mulch better than that, and we're comparing the Exmarks ablity to my 21" Toro. Well, my lawn is really thick (as in lots of blades of grass per sq. inch, THICK!) and I guess that it couldn't get enough air, which is what happens with the 21" when it can't get air. Then, I mowed the other part of my lawn .5 inch higher and no clumps and it's probably just as thick or worse. Someone please reassure me that this air thing is the problem or I'm gonna throw a tantrum! LOL. Otherwise the mower is great! Really fun to operate. Input please guys. I really appreciate it. This is the first W/B that I've ever had. Really hate to get mad at it. Thanks again!
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

learning any machine is half the battle bud. im sure u will be alrite. :)
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the reassurance! I just spent a TON of money on this mower for what I make a year and don't want it to dissapoint me. I'm sure I'll get it figured out.
  4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Have you tried it without the mulch kit yet?

I did not get the mulch kit with mine...but I can assure you that it should cut great without the kit installed. Shreds and disperses the clippings nicely....looks 'mulched'...without the hassles. :)

I only use a mulch kit on my Lazer Z...and that's when it is time to do leaves. Otherwise I just let it fly.

I don't like the line of grass that mulching plates can leave when banging out 18,500 fps.

Open 'er up (remove the mulch kit) and see what you think about it then.
  5. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I could let er fly BUT! with all the flower beds it's a big no no. (I know just shoot it away from the bed) Can't do it. If I shoot away from one I'm shooting it in another. I mulch everything. As to your concern Scag.........You are right on. It does need to breath. Give it a little room to breath and you will love the result. Enjoy the machine.

Are you going to change your name now!:)
  6. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey scag/(EXMARK)48

To get it some air, you could raise the deck(mine has some bolts on the back of the deck to raise/lower) and then place some of the spacers on the blades to lower the blades back down to the height you are cutting now, if you like the height?

my 2cents
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Souther Lawns- Yeah, I figured out the solution today. The 4th position on the height set was too high and the 3rd was too low. So, I put a 1/4 thick washer to even it out a bit. Set it on the 3rd pin setting with the washer on there split the difference and my lawns look great. I LOVE the machine. I saved about 2 hours today alone and still have tomorrow to go. I'm getting good at running it and am getting really productive running the thing. Two thumbs up for Exmark!

P.S. I really should change my name!
  8. Good mower you got there Exmark36/Scag48.

Now what you going to get for wheels?

On the mulch kit you might have to make 2 passes with it to clean it up due to there is no where for the grass to go.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody do him a favor and change that name. We can't have happy eXmark people with a Scag name.;)
  10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I really should do something about it... I ended up getting the Jungle wheels from the dealer at cost, which is $247, not bad. I can't blame him for not selling it to me for less, he'd be losing $$$. I can't change my screen name, it won't let me register again. Says I'm registered in the board as Scag48 and it won't let me change. Chuck, can you help me fix my name? LOL.