Give me a CUSTOMER letter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Firstclasslawn, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here is the deal, every week I have a couple of people who do not leave checks for me, I usually get paid but thats not what matters, I have to pay my guys and other expenses each week and since this is my first season in the business then I need my pay each week, also if it rains then it seems no one leaves me checks thinking that I will not be there to mow, I need a generic letter to send out to my customers that pretty much says look, I have labor and bills and kids to feed and need payment each week, no pay no mow or something generic you know that wont offend all my customers into dropping me, someone please help if you can...... Also could use a really good method to get customers on year round contract without scaring them to death and easy way to calculate year round contract, thanks again Lawnsite for helping the new guy out..

2. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

The title of this post turned me off. Where is the class?

3. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

you say you usually get paid, but that's not what matters?? Seems like it would matter if you've got guys to pay and other expenses?? LOL......Sorry. Anyway, use a little tactic like " I was just wondering if you had left a check, because I didn't see one and wondered if it got lost or blew away?" Expecting a no.....Ask if it's possible to get one now. (before you mow)

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If I collected checks the way you do, I would go nuts. I already don't like processing one check a month per customer, much less 4. Why don't you switch to some type of monthly billing?

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It is better to say please than demand GIVE ME.

:D :D :D

6. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Go to monthly billing!!!! Weekly billing sounds to much like the kid next door.

A trick I learned from Yard Perfect is do your monthly billing a couple days early and send it. Most people do their bills on the 1 st and 15 th. If your monthly bill is there when they sit down to pay their bills on the 1st you'll get yours on the 3rd. It works great. If your really stretched include a self addressed and stamped envelope ( I haven't done this yet but I know a couple of people who do and get good results )

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. Go to monthly billing and 12 month contracts. Expecting a check each week is for kids who cut yards during summer vacation.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

not really avery. when i started lawn service, i had plenty of money comming in from my full time job. but i often wonder, for a guy just starting out, if he sinks all his money into startup costs, how the heck is he paying the bills week to week if no money is comming in?

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Most bills are month to month and not from week to week. Labor should be his only week to week expense.

Being this your first year, do you have so many accounts that you have to hire labor already?

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Firstclass Go to bi-weekly pay for him. We invoice and would never ask our customers to leave us a check on the day we do the service.

But didn't you say in an earlier post this week that you only had 1 employee and only about 25 lawns? If so as I said then you can't afford nor do you even really need any employees with just that. If I were you and since you said this is your fulltime job I wouldn't even consider an employee until I had at least 50 lawns.