Give me a price for this one!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LB Landscaping, Apr 28, 2003.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Here goes,
    Customer wants a patio made out of slate, approx 25X25. 15x25 needs to be dug out to level it off because of a two foot incline. He would like a retaining wall built around the part that is dug out (something like keystone would work). What would you price it at. I was thinking around 9k-10k.

2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have much experience bidding a job like this but depending on site logistics and local material prices $10K on the low end, 12K on the high end.

3. LB Landscaping

from Maine

I called around for slate prices today, retail is about $2200-$2500 (depending on color). He wants the retaining wall made out of rail-road ties, any idea on where I can get my hands on some and approx how much???

4. lucky you! patios and retaining wallsdon't get that kind of pricing here. job like that here depending on site 5500 to 7k

5. LB Landscaping

from Maine

There a TON of prep work to get it done. Were talking about trucking out probably 5-8 truck loads of turf, dirt, and brush.

6. capital

capital LawnSite Member

I do not know how ur basing your pricing, but just a quick note, your low, way low, just the patio work from us would be around $10,000, so adding the walls and grading requirements, your comming up short.

7. Harleyman

Harleyman LawnSite Member
    from NY

gotta agree with Capital on that one. Of course we would not get the job, because someone would price it way to low.

8. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Thanks for the advice Capital & Harleyman, I haven't given him a price yet so your feedback is really appreciated. My original post was just a quick in my head price. As I thought about it you guys are right. For labor I am looking at 3 guys for 2 days maybe a third depending on how the digging goes. My cost on the slate is around $1600. The RR ties he already has so thats covered. Where would you guys be on pricing a similar job???

9. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Holding up an expensive patio with RR ties (the old creosote ones?) is short-sighted at best and also is less stable so the patio may eventually fail. A nice stone or segmental unit retaining wall would be a better choice.

10. capital

capital LawnSite Member

If u want give me a call or email me, I would suggest a Iowa Buff limestone wall over railroad ties, or maybe a boulder wall with a flower bed set in the peremeter before the flagstone patio. Also on ur labor, are u doing a tight cut or loose patio? If u use railroad ties ur patio will not stay even, IE within a year u will have rot on the ties and this allows your fill to begin to escape resulting in your patio shifting.