1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Give me advice on Deere GS 30

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowingpreacherman, Nov 20, 2007.

1. mowingpreacherman

mowingpreacherman LawnSite Member

I plan to buy a belt-driven walkbehind. Hate to buy a belt, but I'm starting out and the hydros are out of my league. Right now, I am looking at a Deere GS30. It has the 13 hp Kohler Command Pro. It is low hours and has great paint, mulching kit and two-wheeled sulkey (Jungle Jims--new). The whole setup looks nice. The seller is asking $1200. I'm wanting to pay cash for a mower and avoid payments. Otherwise, I would get a new T-bar Toro or something.

Also, I weigh 200lbs. Does anyone use a 13 hp with sulkey at a similiar weight? Does it pull well or is it a dog?

Also, how long has it been since GS30s were produced?

Thanks, Tony
  2. mowingpreacherman

oops -- I meant Jungle Wheels
  3. flhntr

flhntr LawnSite Member

i have gs 30 love it have had no problem with it yet had it abt 6 months also i have a sulky on it the only problem with it is when the grass is real wet i weigh 250lbs
  4. jims lawn service

jims lawn service LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I've had one for about 5 yrs. and it works fine. I weigh 225 and it pulls me pretty good. I had mine on craigslist with a mulch kit, bag and bagger attachment no velke though for 1200.00. Didn't get a response at all. Used it today for a leaf job.
  5. mowingpreacherman

I appreciate the replies. I think the GS30 is a good machine, especially after your responses. Someone ended up buying the one I was looking at--they paid about $1000. Doh! The green machines sure are pretty!

I am now buying a 2004 Ferris Hydrowalk 36. I plan to pick it up next week. :cool2: It is in great condition and looks like it will be a good one. I bought some ramps today and plan to run it out of my truck unless I come up with the queso for a trailer before Spring. :)
  6. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one off of a guy on this site. Its probably about 6 years old and havent had the first problem yet. The thing starts on the first or second pull every time and as long as your not cutting in the rain a belt drive is fine. Its only squeaked on me once and that was my own fault for cutting when it was pouring out. I weigh about 180 and it tosses me around fine.