Give me your input on spreading mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by leeslawncare, Feb 10, 2005.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'am spreading mulch an sifted topsoil for 70.00 per yrd.I've did this search an opened up this post way long ago.Lets open this up again.What are you guys priceing this this year?I can carry 1 yrd of top soil per load, an 2 yrds mulch.Had a client ask me today about speading 20+30 yrds an i gave him my price , he thought it was crazy.On the other hand I've just finished a 8 yrd top soil an 12 yrd mulch spread for a contract client.Mulch is 22.00 per yrd top soil is 25.00 .Is my price too high or is my other client to cheap???

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to rebid the job that you lost then have the top soil dropped off by the supplier and ad in the delivery fees and discount your price some for the amount of topsoil being spread. Maybe come down to $55.00 or $60.00 per yard for spreading plus the delivery fees.

Just a thought if you wanted to get that job.

3. leeslawncare

.I've got the top soil an 12 yrd mulching job . The guy with the 20+ job thought it was high. I also reccomended him to call earthscapes(a mulch blowing company ) here in town an they do charge 55.00 per yard for homeowners an i get iet for a little less.He said 55.00 was crazy .Sorry i didn't put that in my last post ..

4. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I installed 150 yds of playground mulch with a tractor today for $2500 is that fair??? Thats only 16.66. per yard and they pay and have the mulch delivered. Of course I give them a break because of how much I install annually. I install about 1500 yds annually for them...

Tim

5. leeslawncare

guess i'am screwing him then ? I'am taken it 2 yrd at a time .He hasn't got the space to drop that kinda load at his property.Thanks for you input ...If you had to do it my way what would you charge?drive time is 20.00 min to his house ,unloading is 45min .what would you do it for?

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If they have a driveway it can be delivered.
    I wouldn't even touch the job doing it 2 yards at a time.

7. leeslawncare

thank you for your input..this drive is straight uphill horse shoe type .what would you wheel barrell that stuff up there for?i could have had it delivered. Trying to to figure out if i should fell bad about this? Thanks guys

8. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

You should seriously look into renting a tandem axle trailer for a day that can hold some yardage. My 7x12 tandem trailer with 24 inch sides has had 5 yards of heavy azz top soil in it. Yeah I know it was really overloaded by about 1500 to 2000 pounds but I got it there with no problem. As far as mulch I have had about 7 to 8 yards in the trailer at one time with no weight problem at all an my F350 pulled it fine.

If you rent a trailer the money that you save by not having to make so many trips will far outway the money that you put out on renting a trailer for the day.

Have fun and good luck

9. leeslawncare

but i don't normally do this kinda work. one time a year. only a couple of clients. can't justify the expense ..

10. GetSomeGOJO

GetSomeGOJO LawnSite Member

Depends on Mulch grade. We deliver 1 yd. at $35 and spread per hour. 21.50 hr + 17.50 each xtr laborer. Fast is key w/mulch