Give Out!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scchamblee, Mar 6, 2007.

1. scchamblee

scchamblee LawnSite Member

I am give out:sleeping: ..... every spring it takes me a few weeks to get acustomed to that dang weedeater!!! I wish mine was a little longer.... I am 6'1" and a have to bend over just enought to cause my back to give me fits for a few weeks till it gets back in shape. I hope I get enough yards this year to hire somebody to run that dang thing!!!

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

are you using curved shaft or straight?? I'm 6' and have straight shafts on all my trimmers with no problems.

3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

If your tired use a shoulder strap.

4. scchamblee

I have a straight shaft Stihl FS 80R, I hate curved shafts. I do need to get a strap that would probly help.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've talked to our Echo rep numerous times about this.

When I had employees, anyone that was over 6' tall would get so tired of running a trimmer.

I don't understand why trimmer companies, for their split shaft units, don't make a trimmer attachment that would be another 1' +/- longer, so taller guys would be more comfortable, or even to use getting under pine trees or other plants that are a pain (literally) to rub up against????

Or even if you're doing a steep embankment, it would be nice sometimes to have that extra foot or so.

6. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys...I have the solution for you. Forget talking to Echo. I'm currently field testing an extended reach trimmer that's made by tanaka. It's about 2 feet longer than any commercial straight shaft trimmer. I'm 6'4ish...and while holding this unit in the trimming position, I do not have to stoop, bend down or anything. It's very easy on the back. The extra reach is good for cutting larger swaths, keeping the operator cleaner and safer...it's just awesome. I have an employee that is 6' even and it works well for him too. I'll have the review out in Tanaka's sposor forum in about a week. Check it out. BTW, there is a field to forum review in there right now of an older model extended reach trimmer; but the new one I'm testing has a bigger engine and has been redesigned.

7. ScagBoy09

ScagBoy09 LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good product. I use a stihl and ryobi straight shaft trimmer but I usually dont have any major problems unless im doing fences. Im a little over 6'3" and I have tried to use the single shoulder strap but alls that did was get into my way. I will be curious to see what that new Tanaka trimmer is like.

8. scchamblee

I looked at it on their website and it looks comparable to the FS 80, my only propblem is that the closest dealer is 2 hours away... that could become a problem if it were to need warranty work.

9. ScagBoy09

ScagBoy09 LawnSite Member

I know what you mean. I havent even heard of Tanaka before a few months ago. I would assume I have no local dealer around here, or else I would know the name. My local dealers are Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa, and Redmax etc. Getting service or parts would be a pretty big deal if it was needed.

10. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an fs80...and let me tell you; it is nothing like it. First of all, the fs80 is about one of the shortest trimmers on the market. I've had one for 5 years...and only really break it out when I have a girl working for me. I can't stand that thing. I'm used to shindy 270's. Their heads have a good angle of attack that makes for comfortable trimming with us tall folks. The Tanaka is probably 2.5 feet longer than the fs80...you need to look at the extended reach trimmer on Tanaka's website.