Giving a crew a bonus

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Green Acres, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking of giving my guys an incentive to get jobs done faster. For instance if I think the job should be done in three days and they get it done in three days or sooner I will give them a $100 or more depending on the job and time to complete. Has anyone ever tried this before? I'm just looking at a way to get jobs done faster. As for quality control if they mess anything up however long it takes to fix comes out of their wage. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

You are opening a can of worms, I would tell your crew at the start of the job what the timeline is, 3 days, if they finish it quicker then reward them.

This will show them that hard work pays off.

If you promise something and it doesn't happen then you create more issues. Your lead guy should be the one who pushes them, only then can it really work.

Good luck!!

3. Green Acres

You say give them a reward if they finish faster. Sound like the same thing I'm just telling them that they will get the reward before the job starts.

4. Toy2

You can't promise, to many issues against you, weather, guy sick, equipment problems...etc....

I managed 15 people shipping parts, the lead guy would push them to get the boxes out, he knew what would happen, the rest just tried harder.

In the end, our goal was met, money was passed out,employees happy, then it moved up a notch until you get where you want goal wise.

If you tell them up front, you will get it done, but corners will be cut, not sure if you want that!

5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If you push quantity over quality than give it a try. I think it will just make the crew rush a job and and you end up with a less than ideal product.

6. Green Acres

I'll be there off and on to look over it for quality. If anything is wrong they will have to get it fixed before the deadline. I understand that there will be issue's with weather and breakdowns that are out of there control. If it rains one day and they can't work we just add one day to the deadline. The problem is that I have two guys working for me and they are fine when I am there but when I leave they slack off. Just trying to find a way to motivate them when I'm not around. Also they are brothers and that doesn't exactly help anything I don't think.

7. Toy2

Sounds like you already have a problem if you have to push them to get things done, you have to be self motivated no matter what you do.....hope they are not mexicans, I deal with them everyday, yes some crews are all related and I have rule with an iron fist.....

I really don't think the bonus will help you, they will want biggger and better ones down the road, not sure anyone can handle that....

I live by these words: "CHARACTER IS WHAT YOU DO WHEN NO ONE IS LOOKING''.

I think they lack the above!!

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Money will only work until they don't get it anymore.

9. Green Acres

They are mexican and they are good workers. Show up on time don't take time off and will stay late if need be. If I could just keep them working at the same pace as when I'm there. I thought about getting another guy to be the foreman put to find someone who is worth anything is a job in itself.

10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

You say they work great when you are there... are you there supervising, or are you there helping. I have a problem with a couple guys working alone, but when I'm with them they work great- the problem is they are not good self-starters, when I'm there I get them on a task and they complete it, but dont quite know what to do next. Maybe your guys just need a good list of instructions and an order of events to follow? Just a thought.
    Matt.