Giving an estimate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by clallen03, Feb 23, 2006.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I just meet a guy today and after talking for a while I asked him about his lawn. He informed me that he was looking for someone to maintain his lawns for him so I told him I was a LCO and gave him my card.

After that he asked me "So when can you come by?" I told him I can come by today but he said Saturday and wrote down his address and phone #.

My question is: Would you bring your lawn equipment to his home just in case he want you to start today?

Would you leave it at home and schedule another time to do the work if he agrees to use you?

I stay about 10 min away from the job site and he seemed like he wanted the work do right away, but I don't want to look unprepared.

Let me know how you'll do it.
  2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

If you are out and doing other work then take the equipment. If you are not I would not take it, set up a regular day for service. If he is in a bind and needs it done you can say you can come back later in the day.
  3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't bring my equipment...just be prepared to start the lawn soon afterward.
  4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If it were a weekday I would say bring it if you already have it with you. It being the weekend though, leave it at home. I hardly ever bring my equipment with me when i go give an estimate. There is only a 20% chance that whatever day I give the estimate onwill be their service day anyway.
  5. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

don't take it but if he wants it done go back there that afternoon or the next day at 7:30
  6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Nice to see another ATLIEN on the board. To me, it really depends. If you have some really good commerical equipment, and a nice size trailer and set up, then I say take it. Its funny here in Atlanta, but everytime I seem to take my equipment with me to a estimate, i usually am able to pick up some of their neighbors too. Its a show, and sometimes the best show wins. I mean you can go with the guy with the lawn mower hanging out the truck of his girlfriends yugo, or with the guy who looks like he can take on any yard. If its not to far from your home, and you are not going to burn a lot of gas, then what do you have to lose, plus another bonus, it gives the appearence that you have been working so you must know what you are doing.
  7. clallen03

What part of Atlanta are you working in this year? I'm down on the South Fulton side of things trying to make it happen. From what I hear the North side is were the money is, what do you say about that?
    What do you do to advertise? If you do fliers, when and how?

Hit me back, let me know how you work thing out.
  8. clallen03

You got a point TJ about the show factor. People do like to see things are in order and you are ready at any given moment, but I think I may hold off on the equipment this time. Im just goint to clean my truck up really good and go like that. I wish I had my logo done so I could were my shirt and hat but I'll just go with a nice collared shirt for now.

Thanks everyone for your input.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If you don't want to look unprepared, then ASK the guy...does he need the work done ASAP, or is he in no rush. That's what I do...once the grass starts growing, I just ask 'em "Does it need to be cut NOW, or can it wait til next Tuesday when I'm in your area?"
  10. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

If you regularly work on Saturdays, or dont mind it for a new customer, bring the equipment with you. You can knock it out and have a satisfied customer right away. Plus, being Saturday, more folks will be home and you may pick up a few more customers. You might even stay all day in the neighborhood, and get home tired, with a fatter wallet, and a longer clientle list.
    Good Luck