Giving an Estimate

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by GrahamLandscaping, May 21, 2011.

1. GrahamLandscaping

GrahamLandscaping LawnSite Member

I just recently started my own landscaping business and today I received my first call to give an estimate. I calculated that it would take roughly 3.5 yards of mulch to complete the job so to be safe I told the customer I would use 4 yards. The beds are in pretty bad shape with weeds, rocks and over grown plants. The customer would also like me to edge around all of the beds before I spread the mulch. My question is how much I should charge to complete this job. I do not want to over charge the customer but I also do not want to under charge so I am not making money for the work I am doing. Please help me out to give him a fair price for this job. Thanks!

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

four seventy five

3. GrahamLandscaping

Can I get a price break down for that number if possible?

Mulch here in Ohio generally runs $32 per yard and there is a $20 delivery fee as well.

I also will be the only one working on this job.

4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Two hundred fifteen
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. nepatsfan

160 for mulch. 315 for labor which includes bed prep, weeding, edging, and spreading the mulch

6. GrahamLandscaping

Thanks for the input both of you. Any other suggestions? Like a formula or something that I can use over and over again to make it simple?

7. GrahamLandscaping

I did some of my own calculations and this is what I came up with...

Material: Mulch $32/yard + 25% mark up + 8% tax = $44/yard. 4 yards x $44 = $176
    Labor: 3 hours x $35/hour = $105
    Delivery/dumping fee = $50
    Total cost = $331.00

Is this a good estimate for this job?

8. nepatsfan

Typically I do a hundred bucks a yard installed. I added 75 because you said there were excessive weeds and rocks so I figured a couple hours more than normal. I think three hours to edge weed and spread mulch by yourself is very optimistic especially if the beds are in rough shape. I would plan on a full day and be happy if you finish sooner.

9. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

What he said.

10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

My formula is pretty simple. I use $.50 per linear foot for edging around an existing edged out bed and $.75 if it needs bed prep and edging. I charge $75 per yard of hardwood mulch installed, extra if dyed mulch. Any bush trimming I add $7.50 for small items and $15 for large ones including haul off. I will use these numbers for getting my total price but I don't break it down for the customer, its not really something they need to be picking apart. I have found the best tool for bed prep is a mini tiller. Mine is a Stihl FS56 with the trimmer head removed and tiller head attached, a very profitable tool.